Intex mounted skimmer basket

May 26, 2013
Tennessee
Does anyone have any experience with using a intex mounted skimmer kit on an Ultra frame pool? If so, what all comes with this kit? Is it easy set up? Does it work well? I'm trying to find something like that since our pool did not come with one and using that little net to get stuff out every time we wanted to get in was really a pain.

Are you talking about the one that mounts to the rail and sits inside the pool with a hose going to the inlet inside the pool? If so, it doesn't work well on Ultra Frames. You are better off getting the Hayward 1091 and mounting that through the wall of the pool. You will have to cut the liner, but many of us here have done it on our Intex Ultra frame pools. It is possible to do with the pool full. The instructions from Hayward recommend at least 2 feet of water in the pool when installing.

Yes, I was looking at the one that mounts to the rail. We don't have an upgraded pump though. Just the one that came with the pool. Since we are moving the pool and won't get much use this year, pump upgrading will come next year. Does the Hayward attach to the Intex pump easily or will we be looking for connections that will fit the hoses right and such? A little more info about that would be nice, I'm curious. :)

I actually purchased that skimmer, and I thought it was a heck of a good deal for 14.95$. Since my pool does not have all the water it could in I, so it is not too tall for my son, I had to modify the skimmer with some of the extra parts that came with it to have it sit farther down in the pool.

All in all great unit.

Jon

tookiesmom07 said:
Yes, I was looking at the one that mounts to the rail. We don't have an upgraded pump though. Just the one that came with the pool. Since we are moving the pool and won't get much use this year, pump upgrading will come next year. Does the Hayward attach to the Intex pump easily or will we be looking for connections that will fit the hoses right and such? A little more info about that would be nice, I'm curious. :)

Yes, the Hayward comes with everything you need except a hose clamp. It does not come with a ball valve, so you will probably want to add that. I used this one in the FIP size and it worked perfectly. http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP0723-Tr ... ball+valve

You can use the valve that came with the intex, but you'll have to move it to the other end of the hose and attach it to the pump. I preferred the clean look of having the ball valve on the bottom of the skimmer.

I have the Intex deluxe skimmer and it has worked great for me. I point the little eye thing to where it is pointed up and to the opposite side of the skimmer. That way the water flows in a circle around the pool and back to the skimmer.

I actually have 2 of the skimmer baskets so I can cheat vacuuming. I hated trying to move the skimmer level when it was time to vacuum. So one skims the surface and when it is time to vacuum I hook up the other one.

I'll probably switch to an in-wall skimmer next season but I'm using the Intex on my rectangular ultra-frame. The clamp you're supposed to use is terrible. I took part of the clamp intended for inflatables and went after it with a heat gun to reshape it. I attach it to the pool leg with Velcro and some duct tape. The result is a much more stable installation and the skimmer doesn't extend so far into the pool.

I'll snap a picture when I get home tonight.

Another option for more secure mounting of the Intex skimmer. I found this solution here last year for my Easy Set, but it could be used for the Ultra as well, for those not ready to switch to a through the wall.

I did my stand a bit different than the original I got the idea from. Just remember to allow clearance for the pool movement, and position the clamps so they don't rub the pool.

[attachment=1:1t3tinn9]skimmer 1.JPG[/attachment:1t3tinn9]

[attachment=0:1t3tinn9]skimmer 2.JPG[/attachment:1t3tinn9]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And as far as function goes, the Intex skimmer works great for us. The only problem we had with it was the insecure mounting; which the stand took care of. The Intex skimmer combined with the Intex 2650 sand filter does a great job of keeping the surface of our pool clean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.