Backwashing Filter - Step by Step Instruction Help

Hello -

I am a new pool owner and was hoping I could obtain step by step instructions on how to backwash a filter.

The pool has a Hayward DE Filter. The previous owner told me that the baseline pressure is 20. The gauge is up around 25, and I believe it is time to backwash as the previous owner also said he had not done it this season yet. If anyone could walk me through how to do the backwash, I would be greatly appreciative.

What model is it? And do you have replacement DE or Cellulose standing by? Do you have a multiport valve (it's a rotary thing with about 6 positions, some don't) We can help if we know what we're working with.

Also, you might check youtube. there are several how to videos, one may show your exact filter.

Thank you for the quick responses, this forum is awesome. Below are a few pictures of the Filter. On the label there are model #'s listed but it does not appear that one of the models is checked, I could not find a model number etched anywhere on the filter.

IMG-20130708-00053_zps40490593.jpg

IMG-20130708-00052_zps979bdaeb.jpg

IMG-20130708-00051_zps0b5a2e97.jpg

That's gonna be easy! http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals ... DExx20.pdf is the manual. On page 4 there's a dimensioned drawing. Grab a tape measure and check your filter's height and compare it to the chart. That will give you the model number, from which you can determine the amount of DE you need.

There's also directions in that manual on how to backwash. Just remember it never washes clean 100%, so only add 80% of what they specify, unless you feel bold and open the thing up to clean the grids perfectly.

Measure the height of the Filter and you can figure out which model you have.
The 2420 is 32" tall
The 3620 is 34" tall
The 4820 is 40" tall

Here is the list of steps for backwashing the filter.
1. Hook up the backwash hose.
2. Stop the pump.
3. Press the multiport valve handle down and rotate it to the backwash position.
4. Start the pump.
5. Watch the small sight glass on the side of the multiport valve. The water flowing through it will start off clear and then become cloudy. Run the pump until the water in the sight glass becomes mostly clear.
6. Stop the pump.
7. Press the multiport valve handle down and rotate it to the filter position.
8. Mix about 80% of a new fill of DE in a bucket of water to make a slurry.
9. Start the pump and slowly pour the DE/water slurry into the skimmer.
10. Enjoy your pool. :)

OK thanks for the information, it doesn't look to hard. The only outstanding question I have is which skimmer to dump the DE in?

I have a skimmer pot that is right in front of the pump. I also have a skimmer basket right next to the pool. The previous owner told me he dumps the DE in the skimmer pot (the one right in front of the pump), but other people have told me you should never open that lid when the pump is on.

kappadoce said:
OK thanks for the information, it doesn't look to hard. The only outstanding question I have is which skimmer to dump the DE in?

I have a skimmer pot that is right in front of the pump. I also have a skimmer basket right next to the pool. The previous owner told me he dumps the DE in the skimmer pot (the one right in front of the pump), but other people have told me you should never open that lid when the pump is on.
The skimmer by the pool's edge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it were me, I'd take it apart and clean the grids completely. You are going to need to do that once a year at least anyways. Did the previous owner ever do that? It's not difficult, you don't have to take apart the grids, just get them out and soak them then rinse them with a hose.

Here's what mine looked like when i took off the lid after backwashing.

Yummy!

Really should not make much difference if you use 100% SKIMMER or not.

I like to put all the DE I need into a bucket, then fill the bucket with water and mix the DE into a slurry. Then just pour it slowly into the SKIMMER while the pump is running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.