Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwashing Filter - Step by Step Instruction Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwashing Filter - Step by Step Instruction Help

Hello -

I am a new pool owner and was hoping I could obtain step by step instructions on how to backwash a filter.

The pool has a Hayward DE Filter. The previous owner told me that the baseline pressure is 20. The gauge is up around 25, and I believe it is time to backwash as the previous owner also said he had not done it this season yet. If anyone could walk me through how to do the backwash, I would be greatly appreciative.
    25,000 gallons (in-ground plaster pool+spa)
    Hayward DE Filter, 1.5 hp pump, Polaris 3900 Sport Vacuum, Honeywell Heater
    TF-100 Test Kit, Using TroubleFree Method
    Getting the hang of pool ownership....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backwashing Filter - Step by Step Instruction Help

What model is it? And do you have replacement DE or Cellulose standing by? Do you have a multiport valve (it's a rotary thing with about 6 positions, some don't) We can help if we know what we're working with.

Also, you might check youtube. there are several how to videos, one may show your exact filter.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Either post a picture of the equipment or tell us what type backwash valve you have and we can probably walk you through it. We also need to know the size of the filter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is the pool school article on filter maintenance:http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...pool%20filters
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

There is DE specific details in the "use and care of DE filters" article in the further reading section of Pool School.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for the quick responses, this forum is awesome. Below are a few pictures of the Filter. On the label there are model #'s listed but it does not appear that one of the models is checked, I could not find a model number etched anywhere on the filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

That's gonna be easy! http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals ... DExx20.pdf is the manual. On page 4 there's a dimensioned drawing. Grab a tape measure and check your filter's height and compare it to the chart. That will give you the model number, from which you can determine the amount of DE you need.

There's also directions in that manual on how to backwash. Just remember it never washes clean 100%, so only add 80% of what they specify, unless you feel bold and open the thing up to clean the grids perfectly.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Measure the height of the Filter and you can figure out which model you have.
    The 2420 is 32" tall
    The 3620 is 34" tall
    The 4820 is 40" tall

Here is the list of steps for backwashing the filter.
    1. Hook up the backwash hose.
    2. Stop the pump.
    3. Press the multiport valve handle down and rotate it to the backwash position.
    4. Start the pump.
    5. Watch the small sight glass on the side of the multiport valve. The water flowing through it will start off clear and then become cloudy. Run the pump until the water in the sight glass becomes mostly clear.
    6. Stop the pump.
    7. Press the multiport valve handle down and rotate it to the filter position.
    8. Mix about 80% of a new fill of DE in a bucket of water to make a slurry.
    9. Start the pump and slowly pour the DE/water slurry into the skimmer.
    10. Enjoy your pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

OK thanks for the information, it doesn't look to hard. The only outstanding question I have is which skimmer to dump the DE in?

I have a skimmer pot that is right in front of the pump. I also have a skimmer basket right next to the pool. The previous owner told me he dumps the DE in the skimmer pot (the one right in front of the pump), but other people have told me you should never open that lid when the pump is on.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by kappadoce
    OK thanks for the information, it doesn't look to hard. The only outstanding question I have is which skimmer to dump the DE in?

I have a skimmer pot that is right in front of the pump. I also have a skimmer basket right next to the pool. The previous owner told me he dumps the DE in the skimmer pot (the one right in front of the pump), but other people have told me you should never open that lid when the pump is on.
    The skimmer by the pool's edge.

11. Back To Top    #11

OK great! should i also set the pool suction valve (Jandy Valve) to 100% skimmer when doing this? Currently it is set to 50% main drain % 50% skimmer

12. Back To Top    #12

If it were me, I'd take it apart and clean the grids completely. You are going to need to do that once a year at least anyways. Did the previous owner ever do that? It's not difficult, you don't have to take apart the grids, just get them out and soak them then rinse them with a hose.

Here's what mine looked like when i took off the lid after backwashing.

Yummy!

18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

13. Back To Top    #13

the previous owner told me he cleaned the grids at the start of the season (april)

14. Back To Top    #14

Dumping DE in the pump strainer basket isn't a good idea. It could clump and create a clog in the impeller.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

should i set the pool suction to 100% strainer then?

16. Back To Top    #16

Really should not make much difference if you use 100% SKIMMER or not.

I like to put all the DE I need into a bucket, then fill the bucket with water and mix the DE into a slurry. Then just pour it slowly into the SKIMMER while the pump is running.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!