increasing Cya and effects on pH

Jun 23, 2013
Latest tests:
FC 5
pH 7.5
TA 90
CH 40
cya 30

Using the pool calculator it looks like I need to bring my cya up to 70 and TA down to 70. Adding stabilizer will lower my pH perhaps more than I would like. Will the stabilizer also affect the TA? My thought is to increase cya in 2 or 3 shots and aerating to increase pH in between. I have also dialed back the swg from 3 hrs/day to 2.

Thought?

Adding CYA will lower PH and TA just a little, not enough to worry about, or even think on very much. The numbers will vary a little bit, which is fine. The main thing is to get an idea of which way things tend to drift and only worry about it when they get to the limit at the end they tend to drift towards (or go well over the limit at the other end). In most pools PH tends to drift up, if yours is like that then there is no need to do anything to the PH right now. CYA will lower it a bit, but then it will drift back up (eventually).

JasonLion said:
Adding CYA will lower PH and TA just a little, not enough to worry about, or even think on very much. The numbers will vary a little bit, which is fine. The main thing is to get an idea of which way things tend to drift and only worry about it when they get to the limit at the end they tend to drift towards (or go well over the limit at the other end). In most pools PH tends to drift up, if yours is like that then there is no need to do anything to the PH right now. CYA will lower it a bit, but then it will drift back up (eventually).

Thank you...used the calculator to see what the effect of adding cya would be...everything seems to be testing well over last couple of weeks...not having any trouble keeping fc up right now so may wait until the nieces are gone next week before making any changes. They will be in the water every day...excellent investment

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.