1. Back To Top    #1

increasing Cya and effects on pH

Latest tests:
    FC 5
    pH 7.5
    TA 90
    CH 40
    cya 30

Using the pool calculator it looks like I need to bring my cya up to 70 and TA down to 70. Adding stabilizer will lower my pH perhaps more than I would like. Will the stabilizer also affect the TA? My thought is to increase cya in 2 or 3 shots and aerating to increase pH in between. I have also dialed back the swg from 3 hrs/day to 2.

Thought?
    2012 Intex Easy set 15x48/Krystal Clear 635T pump/CS8110 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: increasing Cya and effects on pH

Adding CYA will lower PH and TA just a little, not enough to worry about, or even think on very much. The numbers will vary a little bit, which is fine. The main thing is to get an idea of which way things tend to drift and only worry about it when they get to the limit at the end they tend to drift towards (or go well over the limit at the other end). In most pools PH tends to drift up, if yours is like that then there is no need to do anything to the PH right now. CYA will lower it a bit, but then it will drift back up (eventually).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

At the bottom of the pool calculator there is a section titled Effects of adding chemicals. It will show you what the chemical you want to add will change in your pool.
    11,700 gal. 21' x 54" AGP, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Adding CYA will lower PH and TA just a little, not enough to worry about, or even think on very much. The numbers will vary a little bit, which is fine. The main thing is to get an idea of which way things tend to drift and only worry about it when they get to the limit at the end they tend to drift towards (or go well over the limit at the other end). In most pools PH tends to drift up, if yours is like that then there is no need to do anything to the PH right now. CYA will lower it a bit, but then it will drift back up (eventually).
    Thank you...used the calculator to see what the effect of adding cya would be...everything seems to be testing well over last couple of weeks...not having any trouble keeping fc up right now so may wait until the nieces are gone next week before making any changes. They will be in the water every day...excellent investment
    2012 Intex Easy set 15x48/Krystal Clear 635T pump/CS8110 SWG