Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stuck skimmer plug

1. Back To Top    #1

Stuck skimmer plug

We have a white skimmer plug stuck, we have tried everything to loosen it.....it is hard to get a grip on it in the small area in the skimmer. It is threaded with a square nut on top. We have tried a lug nut wrench with two 10" extenders, but we started stripping the lug nut. Any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: stuck winterizing plugs

There are sockets meant to grab onto a stuck/striped nut.

Or you try a "basin wrench" used for getting behind sink basins.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: stuck winterizing plugs

Thank you....I will see if the hubby has either of those tools.....or yet another trip to the hardware store!

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Stuck skimmer plug

Welcome to TFP CinDog!

I went ahead and split your topic off on it's own. Please start your own thread when posting a new issue. Thanks!

5. Back To Top    #5

Also are you sure that plug is supposed to come out? Many skimmers have two holes. One is permanently plugged which is likely what you're dealing with.

Is there another hole to get water flowing and is this your first year with the pool? My question mainly is are you sure you can remove that from the skimmer?
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks but yes it needs to be removed. We don't close our pool, but we have opened it for the last 20 years and this is the first time we have had this problem.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by CinDog
    Thanks but yes it needs to be removed. We don't close our pool, but we have opened it for the last 20 years and this is the first time we have had this problem.
    Gotcha. Just had to get the obvious out of the way.

You can't grab hold of the nut and get some torque on it. The special nut removal socket or basin wrench will allow you to get it.

8. Back To Top    #8

The Basin Wrench did the trick, thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my thread.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by CinDog
    The Basin Wrench did the trick, thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my thread.
    Now come on now! I need more props for that!

Just kidding, if it wasn't for 10 work hours over a week fighting how to unscrew a sink basin supply lines into the handles, bare and raw knuckles, that there was no way in **** I could get a bite on I wouldn't even know a Basin Wrench existed.

Plumbers are well worth their pay, as are their tools.

Very happy you got it.

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm having the same problem, going to Home Depot later to pick up a basin wrench! Thank you for posting!!