Returns seem weak

Jul 7, 2013
I am new here so please be gentle. I have a 16x32 igp with Hayward 1-1/2 max flo pump. my guage reads 40 psi but returns seem weak. they are hardly seem to be moving water. I have already cleaned the filter. any suggestions?

Welcome to TFP!

What kind of filter do you have? 40 psi seems incredibly high. What was your pressure before you cleaned your filters?

Sounds like a clogged filter........and those filters are only rated up to 50 psi i believe. Before you have a catastrophic failure you may want to open up the housing and manually clean the grids and or give them a overnight soak in detergent then acid bath

maybe I used the wrong terminology. I took out the piece inside the filter that looks like pcs of screening. it reads 0 when off then climbs to 38 I also have an inline chlorinator. when I put on the water slide the psi drops 2 psi

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The filter shouldn't be an issue being you removed the DE grid and still had the same high pressure. Sure sounds like some kind of restriction downstream from the filter. Any restrictions before the pump should lower your pressure at the filter, not raise it. You mentioned an inline chlorinator. Some, like Hayward, restrict the opening down to close to 1/2" where the flow goes through the chlorinator. I had a check valve that used to break about every 2 years and get stuck right there. I since replaced the check valve with a Jandy and replaced the chlorinator with a Pentair 320 which has full flow through the chlorinator. How hard is it to bypass your chlorinator to eliminate it as a potential problem? After that it's all just pipe to your pool. How many returns?

Yes. I got some opinions from neighbors. Whom bye the way are all "experts" at everything. Lol. But it seems I have 6- 90° elbows on the outlet side of filter. I was told there might be friction loss there and to repipe everything to minimize elbows. Does that make any sense?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.