Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Staining of hands while testing and adding chemicals.

1. Back To Top    #1

Staining of hands while testing and adding chemicals.

Quick question regarding some staining on my hand while testing and adding chemicals. Seems like every time i run a full set of tests using my TF-100 test kit (inc. Salt drop test) and then add the required chemicals, i get staining on my hands. Not sure what combination of testing or adding of bleach / muriatic acid that is causing the staining. I guess I should just wear gloves, but I was curious if I am the only one with purple hands and a sparkling pool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Staining of hands while testing and adding chemicals.

That is almost certainly from the salt test. None of the others are know to cause staining like that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Not sure what the reagent in the salt test is, but that looks like silver chloride staining.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think you guys are right. Seems to always happen right after I test the salt level.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

The reagent in question is Silver nitrate, used in the test to measure sodium chloride.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School