Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partial drain to lower CYA- Now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

Partial drain to lower CYA- Now what?

Have been reading the posts on many forums and really appreciate the knowledge being shared. It became obvious to me the only way I was going to get back to a "trouble free pool" was by draining off about 3/4 of my water, which I am doing now. My question is when I refill what steps should I take. I do have the Taylor test kit referenced throughout.
    Shasta 10,500 gallon play pool/spa, pebble tech finish (10/12), in floor cleaning, 2' free-fall, deck jets, Hayward 2hp SP3400VSP pump, Jandy 8 cartridge filter, LX heater and AquaLink Sunny Phoenix, AZ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Partial drain to lower CYA- Now what?

Once its filled back up you have to get your chemistry in balance. You should just need chlorine and muratic acid. Hopefully your CYA is close to your target range once you have refilled. Test your water and reference the pool calculator to see what you need to add. You will need to decide how you are going to chlorinate your pool from here on out. If you follow the advice here you will use bleach/liquid chlorine. If you use pucks you will be in the same situation later down the road. Read pool school so you can understand whats going on with your pool and start enjoying your pool again.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

3. Back To Top    #3

15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Going on what Shane said, you will definitely need chlorine. However, you may not need muriatic acid. It all depends on the pH of your fill water. For example, my fill water has a low pH (probably below 6). So for me, I need Borax. Yu may have high pH fill water, so you may need muriatic acid. So fill the pool up, let the new water mix, and then post test results.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

5. Back To Top    #5

Which taylor kit did you get? Most don't have the FAS-DPD test eg. K-2005 which is probably the most important one.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Refilled the pool and added 1 gal liq chlorine while filling (12.5%). Here is this mornings test results; FC=7, CC=<.5, PH=8, TA=140, CH=190, CYA=50
    My water is clear but not sparkling. What should I do and in what order?
    Shasta 10,500 gallon play pool/spa, pebble tech finish (10/12), in floor cleaning, 2' free-fall, deck jets, Hayward 2hp SP3400VSP pump, Jandy 8 cartridge filter, LX heater and AquaLink Sunny Phoenix, AZ

7. Back To Top    #7

Partial drain to lower CYA- New test results

Topics merged. Lets keep everything here. Bama

Refilled the pool and added 1 gal liq chlorine while filling (12.5%). Here is this mornings test results; FC=7, CC=<.5, PH=8, TA=140, CH=190, CYA=50
    My water is clear but not sparkling. What should I do and in what order?

8. Back To Top    #8

Re: Partial drain to lower CYA- New test results

Lower the pH to about 7.2 first.

I'd suggest running an OCLT. I know it's a new fill but that just rules out anything organic.

I'd also run the filter 24 hours a day until it's sparkling.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Re: Partial drain to lower CYA- New test results

Thanks Dave, I'll adjust the PH and run the test tonight.

10. Back To Top    #10

Dumb question= Did you mean to shock and run OCLT or just run OCLT?

11. Back To Top    #11

I know most people run the pool up to shock level when they do the OCLT, but I am not sure if that is necessary.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

12. Back To Top    #12

I would raise the FC to at least the top of the recommended level for your CYA and then run it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

Added 16 oz muriatic acid, new PH=7.8; adding 12oz more. What is the preferred method of adding acid to the water?

14. Back To Top    #14

Pour very slowly in front of a return so it mixes immediately.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

15. Back To Top    #15

I read somewhere on the site that the pool calculator was available to download to use when offline. Can't find any reference on how to do it. Can anyone help?

16. Back To Top    #16

OK, got PH to 7.5. Total FC loss yesterday due to sunlight and light bather load was 4.5ppm. Raised FC to 6 and ran OTCL. This morning's reading is 5ppm, 0-CC. Yesterday it was 106 during the day and the overnight temp never went below 85. Am I good to go? EDIT Just checked my PH, up to 7.8 O'nite! Is that typical?

17. Back To Top    #17

Technically you passed, but if it were me, I'd run it again tonight just to make absolutely sure.

Go ahead and add some acid to lower the pH.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

What kind of bleach did you use? Some generic bleaches have excess lye, which will tend to raise your pH some.
    John

19. Back To Top    #19

To use the pool calculator just save the page as an HTML on your harddrive. I'm using firefox, so to do that I go to File, Save Page As...
    Then when I want to use it offline I go to File, Open File... and open the file I saved.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks, I will run it again tonight; cheap insurance! Already dropped PH to 7.2. As for the bleach, I am using 12.5% chlorine from wholesale pool supplier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast