Hoping someone can help

Jul 4, 2013
Just found this site and hoping someone can help. 27' 52" AG Sand filter Hayward pro series 500g/min with Waterway 1 hp pump in north central Ohio.Due to cool weather we are still opening pool. Started couple weeks ago n are stuck at cloudy blue/green water. Want to cut ties with pool stores as they keep saying pool levels are goodso no advice.
Plan on ordering your recommended test kit but for now these are our levels from 6 way kit:
Cl/Br 2-4
pH 7.4-7.6
Alk. 140
Hard. 250
CYA 0 (added 5 lbs 5 days ago n another 5 lbs 2 days ago so maybe test malfunction as never has shown up?)

Test results from pool store on 7/5
FC .49
TC .49
CC 0
pH 7.5
Alk 161
Hard 156
CYA 18
Metals 0
Dissolved solids 900
Phospates 100
Sat index 0.3
That nite we added rest of stabilizer. Then last nite added 4 bags (24 oz) black mustard algae magic and 2 bags shock. They said this would turn pool white then would clear out upon vacuuming. Actual result- NO visible change to water appearance but does seem to be holding Cl now which I guess is due to stabilizer.
Can anyone advise us how to clear our pool. We are getting tired of the daily brushing n vacuuming with no results.

Attachments

• 20130707_152722.jpg
    20130707_152722.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 67
Welcome to TFP.

How much cya have you added? 10 lbs would have raised it by 70 ppm. That's way too high for the shock process. Half that would be ok. Besides you're not sure where you started so it could be much higher.

You need to learn to properly shock your pool. Read the article in pool school.
Just going with the 10 lbs of stabilizer we know that you added, you need to get your FC to 20 ppm and keep it there using bleach. You'll need lots of bleach.

Thx for replying.
Before we added any stabilizer our pool store said our CYA level was 13 so we added 5 lbs. 4 days later pool store said CYA level was 18 & to add another 5 lbs. I thought I read here/ and was told by them to wait a week for CYA level to show. Have been following shock process as per pool school instructions. Just not sure what to do to next. Prefer to only use pool store for testing until order personal kit. So are you saying our FC should be at 20ppm (recommended level is 1-4 from pool store)? Should I use pool calculator for that? And how long should we maintain that level?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.