Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Crystal clear water that is smelly and dries skin

1. Back To Top    #1

Crystal clear water that is smelly and dries skin

I've been using EZ Pool. I plan to switch to the TFP method after next week when the last EZ pool dose is used.

The water has a funky smell (hard to describe other than its unpleasant), it tastes sour (we don't drink the water as a rule but some always gets in your mouth when you swim), our skin feels dried out and it irritates the eyes. The water quality from an appearance standpoint is pristine - absolutely gorgeous and sparkly (which is why I've stuck with the EZ pool since the pool was installed last summer). No signs of algae in the pool at all. We have lots of trees around the pool thus lots of leaves fall in it, lots of frogs and toads and on one occasion a woodchuck took a swim. I skim out the leaves and frogs at least twice a day. I shocked the pool like crazy after the wood chuck incident - he survived but I was still grossed out. I frequently check the basket by the filter to make sure no frogs found there way in there when I was emptying the skimmer basket.

I keep a 3" trichlor tablet in the skimmer basket about 75% of the time and shock the pool with 1 lb of 52% calcium hypochlorite (super shock 'n swim) once a week or so and after a heavy day of use.

Inground vinyl liner ~19,500 gals (16 x 32)

My handy dandy TF-100 testing kit tells me:

pH - 7.5
    FC - 0.5
    TA - 120
    CH - 450
    CYA - 80

Here are my questions:

1. Do I have to do anything with the water once I stop using EZ pool and switch over to the household bleach method?
    2. Is the funky smell, irritation and dried out skin related to the low chlorine? Will the switch over address this issue?
    3. We live in a rural area and our fresh water is very hard - is the incoming quality of the water used to fill the pool a concern?

GREAT SITE!! Thanks - Jeannie
    16,000 gal Sylvan Aluminum Above ground vinyl with Deck
    Hayward 1.5 HP Pump, Pentair DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Crystal clear water that is smelly and dries skin

Jeannie, I can't answer all of your questions, but I was also given EZ Pool from my PB. I used it last year, and the water had no issues, but the expense made me look around. Over the winter, I found this site, and read all I could. I stopped using the EZ Pool immediately and went to BBB this spring. I did not do anything other than start using what they recommend here, and I have had no problems and made no other adjustments to counter the EZ Pool. The unwanted stuff in EZ Pool was scary!!! Good Luck.
    Upstate/Central New York. Roman style IG fiberglass pool, 13X33, 8800 gallons, installed July 2012. Pentair cartridge filter, 1 hp Pentair single speed pump. Taylor K2006 Test kit. Went BBB route in spring of 2013, no problems, no regrets!!!!!!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I plan to switch to the TFP method after next week when the last EZ pool dose is used.
    I would be reluctant to keep using something that's not working. I don't know what EZ pool is but I would throw it as far away as I could.

You have no chlorine in your pool. Without chlorine, all sorts of nasty, smelly things are allowed to flourish in your pool and will continue to live there until you get adequate chlorination.

Your only option that makes sense to me is to read "The Shock Process" in the How To section of Pool School and then start that process immediately
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

If your CYA is really that high, you need a ton more chlorine...the funk could be your pool on the edge of a major algae or something breakdown.
    Read the pool school and get some chlorine in there...6 is Minimum for your CYA I think and 9 ppm is your target.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's the MSDS for that stuff. I wouldn't put that in MY pool - everything's a secret "proprietary" formula except the copper sulfate, which is why the pool is such a pretty blue, and why your hair may be turning green.

Smells and skin irritation may be due to the extremely low FC levels you show.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I wrote about EZ Pool in this post. It's a combination product that has copper sulfate and probably ammonium sulfate (makes monochloramine so would show up as CC initially), an alum flocculant, and an irritating form of non-chlorine shock. The ammonium forming monochloramine may be what you are smelling and the non-chlorine shock may be irritating your skin.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks all for the speedy response. I will get busy with chlorine and I'll keep you posted on our progress. Thanks again!
    16,000 gal Sylvan Aluminum Above ground vinyl with Deck
    Hayward 1.5 HP Pump, Pentair DE Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by woodruffje
    Thanks all for the speedy response. I will get busy with chlorine and I'll keep you posted on our progress. Thanks again!

Good for you, welcome to the forum and good luck.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem