What next? My pool is still green....

Jul 7, 2013
In the last 48 hours I have put 25#s of granulated chlorine and 24 ozs. of algaecide in my 54" above ground pool. The pool was a dark green and now it is a bit lighter but not much. I just bought a new test kit (not strips) but I'm really not sure what to do now? Do I buy more shock and just keep adding it? We have had the pool for 3 years now and this is the first problem I've had with it so I did what the pool store told me to and it doesn't seem to be working.

Welcome to TFP!

The most important thing is to find out your current chemical levels. Several of those level, and especially CYA, affect the correct way to proceed. We also need a little more information about your pool, size (as Ironchef mentioned), and kind of surface (vinyl, plaster, fiberglass).

I also recommend doing some reading in Pool School, especially the section in how to shock your pool.

It is about 23,000 gallons. I have a 1.5 HP pump with sand filter and a vinyl liner. The guy at the pool store told me as long as my PH was 8 or above I could continue to shock it until it started turning milky white so I've only tested the Ph. I am going out now to use this new test kit and see what everything is and will post results. Thanks!

"Fire" the pool store guy! PH of 8 or above? He's either crazy or knows nothing. Your pH should be maintained between 7.2 and 7.8 anything outside that range is likely to damage your pool and equipment.

As Jason suggested, read Pool School (link in upper right of every page) especially the sections on dealing with algae, and the shock PROCESS.

Added the acid and the PH is now in the normal range. It's getting dark so I guess I'm finished for the day and will tackle again in the morning. After testing the water in the a.m. should I get more granulated chlorine or just use bleach? Also the pool store sold me a bottle of Floc (after I told him that I really did not want to do that because I've heard it's such a hassle, but the husband was there and he believed everything the guy said) so should I or shouldn't I use it? Thank you for the feedback!

Chrystal_28 said:
Added the acid and the PH is now in the normal range. It's getting dark so I guess I'm finished for the day and will tackle again in the morning. After testing the water in the a.m. should I get more granulated chlorine or just use bleach? Also the pool store sold me a bottle of Floc (after I told him that I really did not want to do that because I've heard it's such a hassle, but the husband was there and he believed everything the guy said) so should I or shouldn't I use it? Thank you for the feedback!
Just use bleach. Avoid the floc. You can put your husband off by telling him it goes in after the water turns blue. If you have the bleach, start tonight - then the sun won;t be degrading the bleach any and 100% of it can go to killing algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately I don't have enough bleach at home to get started but I intend to be at the store bright and early. I am going to assume from everything that I have read here that I don't have an adequate test kit (once again we got roped in by the pool guy) because it only reads FC up to 5.0 and I'm not sure how to determine how much chlorine I'm losing overnight....with that said do I just dump bleach a few gallons at a time until I start seeing more results? So far after 25#'s of granular chlorine it has gone from a dark green to a lighter shade of dark green, I still can't see the bottom at all.

Thanks!

So frustrated! Pool was getting a tad bit lighter in color but now it looks darker again. All of my readings are about the same, the chlorine has gone down just a little. Got bleach as recommended but now it's RAINING (was not in the forecast) so I guess everything I've put in it will just be wasted.

Without the proper test kit to know exactly how much FC you have, you are fighting a losing battle. You have to bring your pool up to shock level and HOLD IT THERE. Without proper testing equipment, there will be no way to do this. Unless you are a stay-at-home person, I recommend starting the shock process on your days off so you can monitor the FC on an hourly basis. You can see pretty easily how this is going to be if you can only measure up to 5 ppm.

OK, I will order the part of the test kit that I'm missing....until I get that though is there a way to get an approximate reading so that I'm not wasting everything I've done so far? I am at home so I can work on it constantly. I really don't want to drain and start over or lose what I've done so far.

That's a good plan. The FAS/DPD single item will at least help you get through the shock process.

The problem with approximating what you need to add is that you have to get below 5 to know where you are, and this is what's needed before you can calculate how much more to add. You might be able to mix 50/50 with some distilled or bottled water, not tap water, and possibly multiply that by 2 to get an idea, but I can't say how accurate it would be.

Well just doing all of this by playing the guessing game this is what I have so far:

Using the test kit my numbers are
FC: above 5.0 (test sample is orange)
PH is 7.4
CYA is 50

I used a test strip just to see what it showed and everything was in normal range except FC and TC which both registered above 10.
Do I just keep testing every hour or so and when it drops below the 10 (got this number from another post where they used strips) add more bleach? I put 7 gallons of 8.72% in about 3.5 hours ago.

IMHO, Orange is a good color for a 50 CYA shock. When it gets closer to lemon yellow, you are too low. The OTO test you used is accurate, you just don't have a chart for it's range higher than 5 PPM. The FAS-DPD will tell you the exact value, when you get your test kit.

While you are waiting for your delivery, I say keep your FC in the orange range and add more bleach when you get close to a rice lemon yellow. The longer you stay at orange, the better, until you start to see clarity.

If you added bleach 3.5 hours ago, I would test again and add more bleach. i am going to guess you need another jug or two. Your color and clarity will get worse during the first stages of algae killing. Keep filtering, watch your pressures.

Can you add your pool info to your signature so we can help better. Like mine!

I would wait until the sun is off the pool. I normally do my testing at about 10:00pm as it works for me. Write down your FC result and test again in the morning, before the sun is on the water. If your FC is within 1 PPM of the night reading, your free of living algae and need to focus on filtering.

As you have a sand filter, you may want to try adding a cup or so of DE to improve filtering. My Wal_mart sells a 10 pound box or you can get some from a DE filter friend. I am in Sacramento if that is close.

I wish I was in Sacramento. I'm in Mississippi but I have seen that in the stores. So can my pool be free of living algae and still be pretty green? I thought it would turn milky white or at least lighter green and if mine is changing at all it is just a tiny bit lighter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.