Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BBQ grill cover and UV protection

1. Back To Top    #1

BBQ grill cover and UV protection

I live is California's hot climate and my BBQ island grill is in an area of constant direct sunlight. The custom tight fitting cover is 2 months old, black in color, and supposedly made of quality materials for outdoor use. I hope I'm wrong, but I expect it to fade soon and maybe last 2 years before disintegrating.
    Aside from removing it from sunlight, what can be done to prolong the life of the cover? I'm thinking Scotchguard or something like that. Has anyone tried anything that works?
    (The grill and cabinet doors are stainless steel so of course I won't want to damage the finish)
    5,061 gallon Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 Saltwater Krystal Clear
    Softub 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: BBQ grill cover and UV protection

Armorall if it's vinyl?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by porkandbeans
    I live is California's hot climate and my BBQ island grill is in an area of constant direct sunlight. The custom tight fitting cover is 2 months old, black in color, and supposedly made of quality materials for outdoor use. I hope I'm wrong, but I expect it to fade soon and maybe last 2 years before disintegrating.
    Aside from removing it from sunlight, what can be done to prolong the life of the cover? I'm thinking Scotchguard or something like that. Has anyone tried anything that works?
    (The grill and cabinet doors are stainless steel so of course I won't want to damage the finish)
    That must be no fun to use on a hot day.

I'd say....build a pergola or buy a canopy to shade it.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Aerospace protectant 303

Or buy a big green egg no cover needed!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

5. Back To Top    #5

Install a sun shade sail canopy.

One of those would give you, the grill & grilling are a little shade, economically, until you can build a Pergola or covered deck area for grillin & chillin
    AGP: 27' x 52" : 17,500 gallon
    300 lb. Sand Filter (75 gpm) / 1.5 hp pump
    Full Sun ~ All Day

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the responses.
    A canopy or pergola would not work where the bbq is and instead I have one on a different section of the patio. The placement is fine and it really doesn't get too hot to bbq. By mid-afternoon a regular breeze kicks in taming the heat. In fact, the chair covers under the pergola and the pegola cover itself also receive some deterioration from UV. Even though the sunlight is strong for a good 8-10 hours during a summer day, I don't want to block the light. Hopefully there is a good protectant to block (or reduce) UV. I'll look into that aerospace stuff. The Armor All would probably look good when fresh, but I wonder how it would hold up. Sometimes it could turn brown and trap dirty in the fabric weave.
    5,061 gallon Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 Saltwater Krystal Clear
    Softub 280

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by porkandbeans
    The Armor All would probably look good when fresh, but I wonder how it would hold up. Sometimes it could turn brown and trap dirty in the fabric weave.
    Give the Aerospace Protectant 303 a try...it's a marine product and not petroleum based like Armor All is.
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360