Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Back -- for the second time

1. Back To Top    #1

Back -- for the second time

I registered with TFP back in May, posted a question, got LOTS of good responses . . . .and when I went to update things yesterday, I found I couldn't log in. (Don't know what happened --- even checked my old emails for the authentication email, but could find nothing from TFP. Weird.) Anyway, I've re-registered.

I live in rural Brazil, where test kits for anything beyond basic chlorine and pH are non-existent. In May, my pool suddenly (literally overnight) went from deep blue to green. I added a lot more chlorine which simply disappeared as fast as I could add it. The folks who responded to my posting suggested high CYA (because I'd been using stabilized chlorine for years) --- and, of course, suggested that I get a real test kit.

I just returned from the US with a new TF-100 under my arm, confirmed the high CYA diagnosis, and had to refill about 75% of the pool to get down to a level of 70. I shocked (with unstabilized granular chlorine --- the bleach here is 1%, if that) per the Pool Calculator suggestions, and seem to be back in business with a nice medium blue.

I'm posting a few question about readings on the appropriate forum today, but I just wanted to recount this here in hopes that some of the great members who responded to my original post will happen to read this and accept my thanks!
    Frank -- in Bahia
    [65,000 ltrs; inground tile; very sunny; no organics; few swimmers; un-stabilized granular; Jacuzzi pump & filter; homemade PVC heater]
    [Rural Brazil; 60k Ltrs; inground tile; sunny; few swimmers; no organics; non-stabilized granular; Jacuzzi pump & sand filter; homemade PVC heater]

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Back -- for the second time

Good Lord!......1% bleach!................back up the trucks boys! And welcome back to the forum.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

There is no such thing as granular unstabilized chlorine. Hopefully it is cal-hypo you are using, as anything else increases CYA. Anyway, welcome back. I just looked at the pool calculator, and it would take 168 oz of 1% chlorine to raise my pool 1 ppm. Wow. It would take 2352 oz to go from 0 to shock level of 14.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

4. Back To Top    #4

It sounds like you may want to look into getting an SWG (salt water chlorine generator)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

JohnN - There are two brands of unstabilized granular chlorine down here: Pool-Trat Cloro Granulado (by Genco) and hth Cloro Granulado Concentrado Tradicional. Both of these, according to the manufacturers, are made specifically to preclude CYA build-up.
    [Rural Brazil; 60k Ltrs; inground tile; sunny; few swimmers; no organics; non-stabilized granular; Jacuzzi pump & sand filter; homemade PVC heater]

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Pool-Trat Cloro Granulado is Trichlor, which is chlorine stabilized with CYA. Hth Cloro Granulado Concentrado Tradicional is Cal-Hypo, chlorine stabilized with calcium. JohnN is correct, there is no such thing as solid chlorine unless it is bound to something else, typically CYA, calcium, or lithium.

But either way, glad you got the good test kit and welcome back!
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Here is a link to the Pool-Trat manufacturer's page: http://www.genco.com.br/interna.asp?page=3&cat=1&id=2

It's in Portuguese, but here's an excerpt, translated.

"Hipoclorito de cálcio em grânulos . . .Alto teor de cloro ativo: 65%. Não estabilizado - ótima fonte de cloro quando estabilizante é desnecessário ou indesejável."

The last sentence says "Not stabilized - best chlorine source when stabilization is unnecessary or undesirable".

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome back

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    It sounds like you may want to look into getting an SWG (salt water chlorine generator)
    ^+1 to what he said. If 1% bleach is the only concentration available, I would be looking into a SWG pronto!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Not stabilized - best chlorine source when stabilization is unnecessary or undesirable
    then it's Cal Hypo and dumps calcium in your pool up to the point where a problem develops.

Frank, what's the annual rainfall where you live?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Rainfall is around 75 inches (we're in the tropics). And yes, I'll sure look into a SWG.