Can't seem to get crystal clear water...

fmjnax

Jun 27, 2013
I have a 15'x48" above ground vinyl pool. I'm using the BBB method and I do a full test every 24-48 hours and a chlorine test every morning and evening. My water clouded up a bit about a week ago and I haven't been able to get it to clear up. I don't want to add unnecessary chemicals is I don't need to so I haven't done anything aside from adding bleach as usual. My test numbers have been steady for a few weeks. As of last night they where:

PH - 7.5
FC - 6-7 (have to run a dilution since my tester only goes to 5)
TA - 110
CH - 170
CYA - 40

The pool temperature drops to as low as 75 degrees at night and usually averages 78-82 by the mid-afternoon. I don't know if the temperature swing can cause a problem, but I don't know how else to combat that; it's just a part of living in the desert. I don't notice any algae growth on the walls and I am getting solids at the bottom requiring me to vac daily. I clean the filter (the cheap-o paper filter system that came with the pool) daily and make sure it is moving enough water through. The pump runs for about 8 hours a day on average, sometimes up to 12 hours. The water isn't entirely cloudy, but underwater visibility is only a couple of feet tops.

Any ideas?

Those cheap paper filters are next to useless. Clearing up the water with one of those filters can easily take weeks. In the meantime, I suggest you run the pump/filter 24/7 to speed up the process.

The main thing is to be very sure you don't have live algae. FC around 6 to 7 is enough to prevent algae from getting started, but it isn't high enough to kill algae if you already have it.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

fmjnax said:
PH - 7.5
FC - 6-7 (have to run a dilution since my tester only goes to 5)
TA - 110
CH - 170
CYA - 40
I was going to ask what you are using to rest with, but I think I have the answer based on your results. Since your FC tester only goes to 5, you are using either a DPD or OTO chlorine test. Strongly recommend getting a FAS-DPD test which used a powder and liquid reagent. You can purchase the individual FAS-DPD test here: http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine-CC-s-test-p47.html

fmjnax said:
I don't know if the temperature swing can cause a problem,...
Temperature swings alone will not cause the water to turn cloudy. One weather-related thing that can is windy conditions that will kick up dust and other debris, although much of the debris will settle on the pool floor or on top of the water vs. suspended in the water. Did you experience strong winds recently?

Thanks! I did forget to mention that I have shocked twice in the past 3 weeks or so at 20ppm.

It very well could be that it is just dirt and junk. It more reminds me of the cloud that comes out of the vac bag (it's just one of those cheap-o hose vacs with the mesh bag) when the debris is too fine to be caught in the bag. I'll see if I can get a picture to turn out.

And that leads to what Jason mentioned about the paper filters. It seems possible that my filter simply can't filter all the junk out; especially the fine cloud of debris the results from running the vac, especially since I have to clean the filter daily due to flow restriction. It gets gunked up bad enough daily that the outflow just about stops entirely. I'll try running the pump constantly and see if it helps any. I'll most likely have to clean out the filter multiple times a day, but I'll still see how it goes. The plan is to purchase a DE or sand filter after vacation so really I only need this thing to last a few more weeks. :)

BoDarville,

I am using an OTO chlorine test (which I guess means I am testing TC rather than FC?).

And yes, we experience wind CONSTANTLY out here. 10-15mph wind from sunrise to sunset is pretty much the norm. The past few nights, and on-and-off over the past week, we have had 15-30mph. There is also a high amount of dust that blows around. Again, I'm literally in the desert (Grand Junction, Colorado). Perhaps I should try covering the pool when not in use?

Here are some pictures. Don't mind the mess. :)

The ring out of the water...
mvbe.jpg

The same ring dropped straight down. About 40" (I have the water drawn down a little)
3cj7.jpg

The ladder from 1/4 the pool away
xsqa.jpg

Various locations
9y4w.jpg

eejp.jpg

I think the wind is the culprit. If you can cover the pool, that would definitely help.

fmjnax said:
I am using an OTO chlorine test (which I guess means I am testing TC rather than FC?).
Correct. Still recommend getting the FAS-DPD test. If you ever have cloudy water that is not due to dust/dirt, ever need to shock, ever need to determine CC, or need to do an overnight chlorine loss test, you will need the FAS-DPD test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.