Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1-Balance 2-Sanitize 3-Shock 4-Algae Prevention

1. Back To Top    #1

1-Balance 2-Sanitize 3-Shock 4-Algae Prevention

The above commandments of pool keeping are for pools that already have been in service; is that correct?

The problem is: my nephew did not shock his pool after filling it with water. He has been just adding chlorine tablets and nothing else and testing for it. Yesterday, there were many children using the pool and today it is cloudy. So while he and his family go on vacation. I told him I would get the pool in shape and ready to use, when they come back. I already have the necessary chemicals to do this.

So my question is: Do I follow the subject commandments as recommended or should I shock first and then do #1 #2 and #4 afterwards?
    This is a vinyl above ground pool of 2400 gallons capacity.
    35,000 gal IG w/ spa completed Oct 2012, grey quartz plaster, SWG (nature2 - no minerals), Jandy cartridge filter, Heater, Polaris 280 w/ booster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1-Balance 2-Sanitize 3-Shock 4-Algae Prevention

Pls post a full set of test results and let us know how you got them

WE need:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You should test the water first using a GOOD kit and follow instructions in pool school to balance it. You may have absolutely no need to do the shock process. If you balance it following our recommendations, #4 is pretty much already covered.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

That isn't a good list to be working from. For example proper sanitation eliminates the need for a separate algae prevention step. Also, the only time you need to shock is when something goes wrong. When you have a chance, you should do some reading in Pool School (there is a link near the top right of every page of this site).

If you post your levels, as Butterfly suggested, we can give you more specific advice.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Butterfly and All,
    I'll start testing. I have the Taylor "Complete (FAS-DPD chlorine) test kit.
    35,000 gal IG w/ spa completed Oct 2012, grey quartz plaster, SWG (nature2 - no minerals), Jandy cartridge filter, Heater, Polaris 280 w/ booster

6. Back To Top    #6

The title of the thread is what chemical manufacturers use to make sure you buy their stuff. We do it a little differently.

And welcome!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

Here are the results:

All test reagents bottles were held vertically to insure accurate drops. Samples were taken at mid level of pool.
    FC = 0.0 ppm.
    CC = 0.2 ppm.
    pH = 7.4
    TA = 100 ppm.
    CH = 80 ppm
    CYA = less then 30 ppm. Kit does not measure below 30 ppm.

8. Back To Top    #8

PH, TA, and CH all look fairly good, given that you have a vinyl liner pool.

Both FC and CYA are very low. When CYA is low, you will lose all of your chlorine to sunlight very quickly, which is no doubt why FC is low.

You should raise the CYA level to around 50, and continue to add chlorine regularly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok,
    I am now using 1/2 the manufacturers recommended dose of CYA. I have 9 ounces added to a 5 gallon pail of pool water to see where it gets me after it dissolves. There is a small 350 gph pump in the bucket to help the dissolving process. I checked the pool school and the chart for CYA & FC levels indicate for 50 CYA, My minimum for FC is 4 ppm & the target is 6 ppm.

10. Back To Top    #10

CYA will never dissolve in a bucket.

11. Back To Top    #11

I suggest you use the sock method for adding the CYA.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

<CYA will never dissolve in a bucket.>

That I found out. I do not have a skimmer to add the cya; so I think I came up with the next best thing. I have a un-used aquarium canister filter rated at 350 gph and hooked that up to the pool. I placed the remaining cya granules into a filter sock and added it to the media compartment. Now I have 2400 gallons exposed to the cya instead of a few gallons in a bucket. I will test the cya level in the morning.

13. Back To Top    #13

I forgot to add that I'll be dosing 30 ounces of 6% household bleach after the sun goes down. I used the pool calculator to determine the dose. Then afterwards, more testing will determine how much FC is used up during the day and I'll also be keeping an eye on the cya level.

14. Back To Top    #14

FYI, CYA won't show up in a test for a few days at least. Don't backwash either as you will lose the CYA