Help Identify Filter - pics included

gb99

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2013
Boston, MA
Hi,

Please help me identify this filter and teach me how to maintain it. The previous owner used Diatomaceous Earth, but I don't want to assume anything and do it right. Some questions are:

What type of filter is it?
Where should I add the DE? And how often?
How often do I clean the filter out?
How often should I backwash?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Filter body small.jpg
    Filter body small.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Filter clamp small.jpg
    Filter clamp small.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 130
  • Filter gauge small.jpg
    Filter gauge small.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 130
The multiport valve (the grey thing by the white pipes?) just allows you to send water to the skimmers, the main drain on the floor of the pool, or both. Or you can shut the water flow off completely. Does that info help?

gb99 said:
The multiport valve (the grey thing by the white pipes?) just allows you to send water to the skimmers, the main drain on the floor of the pool, or both. Or you can shut the water flow off completely. Does that info help?

No he means the big black one with the handle and all the segments that are labeled. Take a top shot of that so we can read the writing on those segments. That setup sure has been "modded" quite a bit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Brushpup said:
That setup sure has been "modded" quite a bit.

This is exactly what I was afraid of. The previous owner did a lot of the work himself and I don't know what level of quality he did it to.

Here are more pics. I just realized the handle said "...for DE filters...". Doh!

Attachments

• Pump label small.jpg
    Pump label small.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Valve label 2 small.jpg
    Valve label 2 small.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Valve label small.jpg
    Valve label small.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 99
Its a similar setup to mine its a hayward filter either 36 or 48sf pro grid series measure the height and width of the filter housing. Other than potential air leaks from the black plastic clamp conections( i had the same but replumbed with pvc) your plumbing looks ok to me

FamilyGuy said:
Its a similar setup to mine its a hayward filter either 36 or 48sf pro grid series measure the height and width of the filter housing. Other than potential air leaks from the black plastic clamp conections( i had the same but replumbed with pvc) your plumbing looks ok to me

Can you give me a quick overview of what you did to replumb? Remember, I am a total newbie to this, so details are appreciated!

Sure are you familiar with pvc plumbing at all? If not it can seem intimidating but is very simple to do. A basic upgrade would be to swap out all the semi rigid flex hose and clamp connections with glued pvc pipe. I went as far as adding shutoff valves on both my intake pipes and my return runs.
I will be adding a bypass loop for my heater this fall when i close the pool for the winter.

Thanks all for your help.

So how big of a filter do you think I have? Is it Pie x R^2 x height? Is there a chart for amount of DE needed per a given size filter? I didn't see any labels on the filter housing.

Another problem I found today is that of the two skimmers, one doesn't work. I used a wet vac to suck out any visible debris (leaves) and it still didn't do a peep. The other skimmer is just fine. Any idea what to do?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.