Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Identify Filter - pics included

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Identify Filter - pics included

Hi,

Please help me identify this filter and teach me how to maintain it. The previous owner used Diatomaceous Earth, but I don't want to assume anything and do it right. Some questions are:

What type of filter is it?
    Where should I add the DE? And how often?
    How often do I clean the filter out?
    How often should I backwash?

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Inground pool; about 20,000 gallons (18' x 36'); pool liner (vinyl?) a few years old; Haywood pump SPX2607X10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help Identify Filter - pics included

More pics
    Inground pool; about 20,000 gallons (18' x 36'); pool liner (vinyl?) a few years old; Haywood pump SPX2607X10

3. Back To Top    #3

more pics

4. Back To Top    #4

Post a few more pictures of the multiport valve. Maybe a few more pictures will help narrow it down.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

The multiport valve (the grey thing by the white pipes?) just allows you to send water to the skimmers, the main drain on the floor of the pool, or both. Or you can shut the water flow off completely. Does that info help?

6. Back To Top    #6

Does the multiport valve have a backwash setting on it?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks to me like an older hayward 48sf DE filter. Mine looks the same other than the houseing on mine is black
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

8. Back To Top    #8

He has the same multiport as me its a hayward variflo valve model# sp710xr50 i believe
    Nathan

9. Back To Top    #9

Upon closer inspection of the pics it may be a smaller 36sf filter but im sure on the valve
    Nathan

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by gb99
    The multiport valve (the grey thing by the white pipes?) just allows you to send water to the skimmers, the main drain on the floor of the pool, or both. Or you can shut the water flow off completely. Does that info help?

No he means the big black one with the handle and all the segments that are labeled. Take a top shot of that so we can read the writing on those segments. That setup sure has been "modded" quite a bit.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup
    That setup sure has been "modded" quite a bit.
    This is exactly what I was afraid of. The previous owner did a lot of the work himself and I don't know what level of quality he did it to.

Here are more pics. I just realized the handle said "...for DE filters...". Doh!

12. Back To Top    #12

Does the setup need to be repaired in any way?

13. Back To Top    #13

The smaller pump on the side with the green garden hose is for the Polaris cleaner that runs along the bottom of the pool.

14. Back To Top    #14

Its a similar setup to mine its a hayward filter either 36 or 48sf pro grid series measure the height and width of the filter housing. Other than potential air leaks from the black plastic clamp conections( i had the same but replumbed with pvc) your plumbing looks ok to me
    Nathan

15. Back To Top    #15

There you go. I was betting DE. If it were mine, I'd want it hard plumbed, but lord knows what you will find if you dig it up.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

16. Back To Top    #16

Well now we know that it's a DE filter and that it's a hayward. Now we need to know the size. Measure the height and circumference of it and we should be able to figure it out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Approximate measurements with a tape measurer:

63.5" circumference
    32.5" tall

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy
    Its a similar setup to mine its a hayward filter either 36 or 48sf pro grid series measure the height and width of the filter housing. Other than potential air leaks from the black plastic clamp conections( i had the same but replumbed with pvc) your plumbing looks ok to me
    Can you give me a quick overview of what you did to replumb? Remember, I am a total newbie to this, so details are appreciated!

19. Back To Top    #19

Sure are you familiar with pvc plumbing at all? If not it can seem intimidating but is very simple to do. A basic upgrade would be to swap out all the semi rigid flex hose and clamp connections with glued pvc pipe. I went as far as adding shutoff valves on both my intake pipes and my return runs.
    I will be adding a bypass loop for my heater this fall when i close the pool for the winter.
    Nathan

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks all for your help.

So how big of a filter do you think I have? Is it Pie x R^2 x height? Is there a chart for amount of DE needed per a given size filter? I didn't see any labels on the filter housing.

Another problem I found today is that of the two skimmers, one doesn't work. I used a wet vac to suck out any visible debris (leaves) and it still didn't do a peep. The other skimmer is just fine. Any idea what to do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast