Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low TA and CH Readings ..... should i do anything??

1. Back To Top    #1

Low TA and CH Readings ..... should i do anything??

I believe i know the answer(s) but figure it is worth checking

FC 5
    CC 0
    TC 5
    PH 7.5
    CYA 30
    TA 50
    CH 40

Water is crystal clear and has been all year and i have had no issues at all with water quality since becoming a BBB'r before the 2012 season

It is a vinyl pool so i assume the low CH reading means nothing?

As far as the TA goes my ph doesn't swing wildly and i have seen a very gradual increase since opening .... 7.2 or so to start in May and it creeped up to 7.8 or so in two months so i brought it down just a little.

Should i mess with the TA?? What is the thought process behind leaving it or raising it??

Thanks in advance
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low TA and CH Readings ..... should i do anything??

Your numbers look fine. Wouldn't mess with TA just for the sake of messing with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ship of fools
    What is the thought process behind leaving it or raising it??
    TA is a measure of the water's ability to buffer pH changes. If it were too low or too high, your pH would either be unstable and erratic or spike up quickly. If it is taking two months for your pH to increase from 7.2 to 7.8, I'd say that is pretty stable.

Still continue to test TA a couple of times a month, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ship of fools
    It is a vinyl pool so i assume the low CH reading means nothing?
    Correct.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

I would raise TA just a little, to 60 or 70.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    I would raise TA just a little, to 60 or 70.
    Would / could you explain why?? .... i am not being difficult .. just trying to learn more
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

5. Back To Top    #5

When TA is too low, the PH tends to swing around more than one would prefer. Any chemical addition causes the PH to change at least a little. The lower the TA, the more the PH changes. You might not notice this if you test at the same time each day, as it will tend to return to normal by the next day.

You can get by with TA at 50, especially if nothing dramatic happens (like algae), but unless you also have borates in the water, TA of 60 is a safer number. With borates TA can go down to 40 safely.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School