Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Raypak heater is haunted...

1. Back To Top    #1

New Raypak heater is haunted...

Replaced an old Minimax Electronic Ignition NG heater (200K btu) with a Raypak Digital NG (266K btu)...but when this heater fires it it sounds like a haunted castle for a minute, low-level howling, whistling, wailing. Wonder if it's gas pressure issue? Have a AC-250 gas meter on house, maybe need to upgrade? Gas line piping is within specs for location/installation, flame color/pattern looks good when lit (based on what manual states) I guess I should bite the bullet and test static & load pressure with a manometer.

Any thoughts?
    20K gal, vinyl, 1 HP Challenger 2-spd pump, 300 lb sand filter, Raypak 266K BTU, 45M stenner pumpin' bleach

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Raypak heater is haunted...

I have an older pilot version of the Raypac and it also howls a little bit when first turned on only if set to max setting though i think it is steam building up so i turn setting lower and it stops. This may be what you are experiencing also
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

It's not a gas pressure issue. Gas pressure does NOT make sounds like that. It's a water flow issue.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303
    It's not a gas pressure issue. Gas pressure does NOT make sounds like that. It's a water flow issue.
    I know Raypak had an issue a while back that they had a retrofit for regarding "whistling":

Raypak Inlet/Outlet Header Baffle w/Header Dam (006826F)

Wonder if it's a unitherm governor issue; that's pretty easy to remove and see what happens. Just put a 2 speed motor on the pump; low speed/high speed, same noise.
    20K gal, vinyl, 1 HP Challenger 2-spd pump, 300 lb sand filter, Raypak 266K BTU, 45M stenner pumpin' bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I've been installing Raypak heaters for well over 3 years, 90+ units per year, and I have not run into this issue with any of the units I have installed where the baffle needed to be replaced. If you do not have the proper amount of water flow into the unit this noise will happen. If you have a bypass, then adjust it. Could it be the uni-therm govern? Maybe but if that is the case you should have a warranty person look at it. Why pay to fix something new and under warranty as well as possibly voiding that warranty by trying to fix it yourself.

What are the first 4 digits of the serial number on the unit you purchased and installed?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

Unit is relatively newly manufactured first 4 of SN are 1304. Below is pic of in/out plumbing if that reveals anything. Mostly noisy on a 'cold' firing. Sometimes will even vibrate a bit and sound as if gravel flowing through. Too much water flow (easy to correct) or too little? Pool plumbing is 1.5". Isn't internal bypass supposed to regulate flow to proper amount, somewhat? Thanks for any info...

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Who reversed the header? Its very possible whoever did might have messed something up. A gravel sound usually indicates a broken bypass.
    Paul

8. Back To Top    #8

Some half-wit reversed/swapped the header. Fortunately, I know that guy pretty well and know exactly where to find him.

Yeah, it was me...

Strangely, for the first week or so, heater really didn't make any unusual noises...just normal clicking of ignition, muffled whoosh of burner lighting and heated relatively silently.

Swapping the header was relatively straightforward.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

So what has changed from the first week when you initially installed it and it worked without any weird noises? Something has to have changed to all of a sudden cause it to make these noises.
    Paul

10. Back To Top    #10

Nothing has changed in the slightest from the first week. New pump motor went in this weekend but it has been making noises with prior pump for past 3 weeks prior to new pump motor.

Noises are worst when heater comes on when it (the heater) has not been running for a few hours. On a 'cold start' it makes considerably more noise than if I turn it off, wait 5 minutes and turn it back on.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Well I guess you can take a look at the unitherm govern and see if that has an issue. Other then that the only things are water flow or a bypass issue which is very unusual on these units. These hardly ever have issues thus the reason why I install so many of them. And you have a two speed pump, correct?
    Paul

12. Back To Top    #12

As of Saturday, a two speed pump.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Well maybe at this point it's best to get someone there at your place to figure it out. Being that it's a new unit it should have the newest baffle design in it.
    Paul

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303
    Well maybe at this point it's best to get someone there at your place to figure it out. Being that it's a new unit it should have the newest baffle design in it.
    Double checked...does have newest baffle in it. Baffle retrofit was for older models. Took the unitherm governor out this morning; the gasket on the plug seat (not plug o-ring) was twisted and pinched. Flattened gasket, re-seated...no more noise upon startup. A little whine for about 3 seconds but no longer haunted. Does still whistle a bit on low pump speed but at least no more howling and rattling.

Maybe my heater was finished being built at 4:55pm on a Friday...

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Yeah I see that gasket twisted like that alot. I do expect a bit of a whine on low speed as the water is probably heating up too fast because it's no moving thru the heat exchanger quickly.
    Paul

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks foor all the tips...all is well. For now.