Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help Please!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Please!

My wife is not happy with the cloudy water and let's me know daily! A little background: went on vacation for a week and had a friend watch the pool, when we got home it looked as bad as it ever has, green pond looking. Dumped bleach in and it began to clear up. Now I am 2 weeks in and here are my numbers to my cloudy pool:
    FC 7
    CYA 70
    TA 80
    PH 7.6
    Salt 3100

I am running the pump about 8 to 9 hours and can't clear it up. Help save my marriage! Ha!
    23513 Gal. IG, Vinyl
    24" 300# Sand Filter
    1.5 HP Superpump
    P4 + Aqualogic, SWG (T-15)
    Benton, Arkansas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help Please!

You likely have just not kept the FC high enough for long enough. Especially with CYA 70. That's good for having a SWG, but it takes more FC to do the job. You need to complete a shock process until all criteria are met. If you read "how to shock your pool: It will tell you about all that. It would also be good to see your CH and CC numbers as well.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Brushpup is dead on. You need to shock, and right now you're spinning your wheels because that FC is too low. Off to Pool School!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

What kind of test kit do you have? To properly follow the shock process, yo will need the TF-100 or K-206 which is linked to in my signature.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks All, that is what I was thinking but needed to hear it from someone else. I do have a Taylor K 2006 test kit.
    23513 Gal. IG, Vinyl
    24" 300# Sand Filter
    1.5 HP Superpump
    Benton, Arkansas

6. Back To Top    #6

So based on the shock procedure, i am supposed to hit a FC of 28, am I reading that correctly? I guess I need some more bleach about 6 gallons or so? How is that going to affect the CYA, PH, and TA?
    23513 Gal. IG, Vinyl
    24" 300# Sand Filter
    1.5 HP Superpump
    Benton, Arkansas

7. Back To Top    #7

Bleach won't affect CYA or TA. It will TEMPORARILY raise the pH of the pool, but as it is consumed, the pH will go down. So effectively it is pH neutral.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Conehead
    So based on the shock procedure, i am supposed to hit a FC of 28, am I reading that correctly? I guess I need some more bleach about 6 gallons or so? How is that going to affect the CYA, PH, and TA?
    Not hit, maintain an FC of 28 til the process is done. If you have active algae you will need more than 6 gallons. It will not affect CYA or TA, pH will probably rise a bit but you can't accurately test while shocking.

After you get it under control you will just need patience while the dead algae filters out. Run it non-stop til it is cleared. Been there, the wait that seems to never end, but it will clear up if done right.

JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

No one can say how much bleach it will end up using, but I'd stop tomorrow and pick up at least 4 more bottles if it were me.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem