Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rubber strip/sealant between liner and concrete deck

1. Back To Top    #1

Rubber strip/sealant between liner and concrete deck

Hi,

It seems that sections of the sealant/caulking that runs along the perimeter of the pool, where the top of the liner meets the concrete deck is missing. Also, I see patches of growth along sections of the perimeter that's missing the sealant.

What is that sealant strip called and where can I buy it?

I plan to use a wet vac to clean out the nasty growth - is that a good way to do it? Then I'll use bleach to give it a good cleaning.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Inground pool; about 20,000 gallons (18' x 36'); pool liner (vinyl?) a few years old; Haywood pump SPX2607X10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rubber strip/sealant between liner and concrete deck

Generally there isn't anything but in between the top of the liner and the coping, assuming we are talking a vinyl liner. Sealing that area would make it extremely difficult to replace the liner (when that eventually needs to be done). If that is actually tile, then a silicone based caulk is normally used.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You may be talking about liner lock? Can you post a pic of it still on?
    Hot Springs certified service tech A
    APSP CST Certified
    CPO Certified

4. Back To Top    #4

I attached pics that show a strip of the beading that's still left. What is it? Is it important to have all around the pool?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Inground pool; about 20,000 gallons (18' x 36'); pool liner (vinyl?) a few years old; Haywood pump SPX2607X10

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

That is liner lock. It keeps the liner from pulling out of the track. You may find it online, its easy to install. Its normally put on the corners where the liner stretches the most, or all the way around if your track is not in the best shape after many liner changes.
    Hot Springs certified service tech A
    APSP CST Certified
    CPO Certified

6. Back To Top    #6

When you go to clean the area, magic erasers work great. Be careful using too concentrated of bleach on the area or you may bleach out your liner.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits