Thread: TA-PH-CH testing sequence questions

1. Back To Top    #1

TA-PH-CH testing sequence questions

sorry if this seems like a repeat or is listed elsewhere
    PH = 7.3
    TA = 70
    CH = 200
    CYA = 40

1. should I bring the TA up to 90/100 first...then test everything again?
    or also bring up the CH to 250 at the same time?

2. I will wait to test PH again, but to raise PH what is best chemical to use (I have some Leslies soda ash a couple years old) or should I get some borax or something else?

wondering if there is a preferred sequence here...or if I am splitting hairs trying to get more optimal levels?
    thx
    24K gal, plaster, concrete decking, cantelivered coping, 20 years old, raised attached stone spa - 1 1/2 HP purex triton pump, 3 yr old 48 sq ft Pentair DE filter with multiport, Polaris 380 w/pump, 2 yr old Pentair mastertemp 400k heater - live in southeastern PA outside phila.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA-PH-CH testing sequence questions

I'd just go swimming, myself. CSI is still in the safe zone. You're in the enviable position where you can chlorinate with Cal-hypo, so that's what I'd do if I was you. Everything but CH is good.

Soda Ash is great for raising pH, and since you already have it, use it up! But not right now - pH is fine.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what richard320 said.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

great answers...thanks....don't want to overthink things......thanks again
    24K gal, plaster, concrete decking, cantelivered coping, 20 years old, raised attached stone spa - 1 1/2 HP purex triton pump, 3 yr old 48 sq ft Pentair DE filter with multiport, Polaris 380 w/pump, 2 yr old Pentair mastertemp 400k heater - live in southeastern PA outside phila.

5. Back To Top    #5

should I use di/tri chlor pucks that I have on hand or go buy some cal-hypo ----have lots of chlorox around too..

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Please read "How to chlorinate your Pool" up in Pool School.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I know how to chlorinate
    Referring to the cal hypo comment specifically

8. Back To Top    #8

Di and trichlor add CYA, which you don't want. Cal hypo adds CH, which, in your case, you do want.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jp4120
    should I use di/tri chlor pucks that I have on hand or go buy some cal-hypo ----have lots of chlorox around too..
    Cal hypo, for the reasons stated below. But I see no reason to make a special trip to buy Cal-hypo if you have Clorox on hand. Just next time you need to resupply, buy the cal hypo instead of more Clorox.

But don't throw the trichlor pucks away, they're slow-dissolving, so they're great for vacations. They will lower pH , so the soda ash you have can counteract them.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!