Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ponds and Water Features as a new category suggestion?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ponds and Water Features as a new category suggestion?

I'm wondering if there are other folks here like me who just can't get enough of a good thing? I started out with an Intex pool in my backyard 10 years ago, then moved to a 24 foot round above ground pool, then added a portable spa. Now, my fascination with bodies of water in my yard is moving towards installing a goldfish pond! I'm willing to bet I'm not alone in this and if I am right, then maybe adding a category for backyard ponds might be of interest to some of us here? I realize there are plenty of web resources about DIY ponds. But I suspect that for those of us who first got interested in pools our ponds might have a few little twists to them. For example, I can see some of the handier folks re-purposing odds and ends of their unused pool equipment for pond use. I used some magnetic, underwater lights from WalMart's pool supply section to highlight the goldfish pond we have just installed in our front yard. By doing so I lit up my pond for about $10 rather then the $60 Home Depot wanted for a pond light that looks very much the same.

Is anyone else interested in ponds? What is the feasibility of adding a forum category for those of us who have or are thinking about having a pond in our yard?
    Leanne
    Pool: 24' round by 48" deep AGP
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed pump, H100 Heater, sand filter, skimmer, using BBB (love it!)
    Hot tub: 2008 CalSpas, 8x8, 8 seats, 60+ jets, ozonator
    3 step bromine sanitation

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ponds and Water Features as a new category suggestion?

i second this, as my wife and I last august bought a new house that backs up to a 3 acre fishing pond, and I already am wondering what to do to control algae as it is running rampant this year! in addition to other questions. i too have been pondering a spa in the winter time.... so i would have a pond, pool, and spa, it would be nice if TFP was my "one stop shopping center" for advice....
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

3. Back To Top    #3

19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok Jason, that is an awesome pond forum, the best I have seen I believe! I officially withdraw my request to add a pond forum here. But here is another new request. Maybe it would be nice to have posted a collection of suggested links to places like that pond forum, maybe a few gardening and landscaping sites, water hobbies, etc... It would be nice to help members find other good forums to enjoy where they may also find some of their TFP friends hanging out?

Here are a few personal suggestions:
    For all things gardening: http://www.davesgarden.com
    For fresh and salt water aquariums: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum
    For Saltwater and Reef Aquariums: http://www.reefcentral.com
    Leanne
    Pool: 24' round by 48" deep AGP
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed pump, H100 Heater, sand filter, skimmer, using BBB (love it!)
    Hot tub: 2008 CalSpas, 8x8, 8 seats, 60+ jets, ozonator
    3 step bromine sanitation