Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too much salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Too much salt

So I've been using salt test strips and I thought my levels were good but I recently got the Taylor salt test kit and that says my salt is 2x what it should be!

The question is, can I just leave it and wait for my SWG to bring the level down? Or do I need to dump a bunch of water and add fresh?
    --- Pool Status - Ice Cube
    18'x9'x52" Intex Rectangular Pool with Krystal Clear 2560gpm Sand Pump and Krystal Clear Salt Water System
    Hayward Skimmer with (2) 1 1/2" Hayward Returns
    16mil Klear Choice Solar Blanket

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too much salt

The salt level will only change by splashout or backwashing.

It seems to me that if the SWG isn't displaying high salt codes, it's happy and working. I'd leave it alone.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I haven't turned on the swg yet, was waiting to ensure CYA was ok. I guess I can try turning it on and see what it does.
    --- Pool Status - Ice Cube
    18'x9'x52" Intex Rectangular Pool with Krystal Clear 2560gpm Sand Pump and Krystal Clear Salt Water System
    Hayward Skimmer with (2) 1 1/2" Hayward Returns
    16mil Klear Choice Solar Blanket

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by blacknoir
    So I've been using salt test strips and I thought my levels were good but I recently got the Taylor salt test kit and that says my salt is 2x what it should
    Did you add the amount of salt that would result in levels that high? Could you blame the results on either testing error or expired strips? How much salt have you added up to this point?

If you are truly at 6000+ ppm then your SWG should throw a "92" and alarm. I'm leery....but we'll know soon enough.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM