algae

shane4

Jul 4, 2013
Ontario Canada
New pool owner and I have not yet purchased a good test kit. I only have a cheap chlorine and ph tester (using red and yellow drops) and I have those 4 in one test strips. Had some early signs of algae that was sprawling across the floor and a bit up the sides. Pool store had me put 15 litres of 10.3% liquid chlorine to shock the pool and attack algae.. According to their water test CYA was 81ppm in an 83000 litre pool. The water was a bit cloudy. I vacuumed and scrubbed until there were no traces of algae. I added the chlorine Friday night. Saturday morning to my surprise the water was crystal clear. There were a few pockets of clumped algae as opposed to sprawling along the floor and walls. I assumed it was dead algae. I vacuumed again (to waste not through filter) and all seems fine. Added water as vacuuming to waste took a lot of water out of the pool.

This evening I notice a much slower growth of the same brown/orange along two vinyl seems along the bottom. I vacuumed it up. A few hours later Small traces are back at the seems.

I have very basic testing available but the strips tells me FC is through the roof and the drops testers show neon yellow. I cant get to the store for another test (theirs is still better than what I have). Should I shock again or will the high chlorine keep attacking the algae? I am nervous of adding more chlorine. Will it hurt my liner and/or equipment.

A good test kit is essential to doing anything to your water......but if you dilute your pool sample with tap water a 50:50 mix and do your drop test for chlorine you may get a readable result which you then double for a almost accurate reading........I cant stress enough how important a quality test kit is

From my own research (which I hunted down here using search) Blinding yellow is about 10. School bus/construction equipment yellow is about 12-13. Hunter orange is around 18, up around 25 it starts to look pumpkin orange. I never went any higher than that, but it's been reliably reported that it eventually will turn brown if you get high enough.

So you're probably still not at shock level for 81 CYA.

I'd advise you to fill out your signature - upper left User Control Panel>Profile>Edit Signature soon. You're going to get nagged to death to get the proper test kit and there's only one source in Canuckistan for it.

Thanks all. Cannot get a test kit quick enough. I do realize from all the posts throughout this forum how important it is. But not easy to get here for some reason at least at a reasonable price. Anyways I wad just wondering if it were necessary to shock every day to combat the algae or if that would harm my pool.
Cheers :-D

shane4 said:
Thanks all. Cannot get a test kit quick enough. I do realize from all the posts throughout this forum how important it is. But not easy to get here for some reason at least at a reasonable price. Anyways I wad just wondering if it were necessary to shock every day to combat the algae or if that would harm my pool.
Cheers :-D
Off to Pool School with you! :whip:

Shock is a process, not a product, and not a one-time thing. To totally eradicate the algae will take anywhere from several days to several weeks at shock level. The good news is, once you get rid of it for keeps, if you commit to maintaining the pool properly, you may never have to do it again.

A little inspiration:
first-time-shocking-with-bleach-t45074.html
pretty-black-pool-t58442.html
first-time-pool-owner-t61565.html
a-little-encouragement-for-those-with-algae-and-new-to-bbb-t57137.html
frog-filled-green-swamp-to-oasis-work-in-progress-t48213-20.html be sure to look at page 2
before-and-after-t36785.html
a-final-picture-set-of-how-well-the-bbb-method-works-t33199.html

Shane4,

Carefully and slowly peek out the window.....the TFP Forum SWAT Team should have your house completely surrounded by now :shock: :shock:

(The pictures are just fine and you are an excellent member for reading the rules. Thank you.)

PS - Throw a six pack out the front door...our SWAT team is easily diverted. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Almost forgot....the pics definitely look like small piles of dead algae. Do they brush away easily?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.