Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Balancing a spa...new to me...

1. Back To Top    #1

Balancing a spa...new to me...

I'm pretty good with my pool after hanging around here long enough but I'm trying to help my inlaws with their hot tub (455 gal Sundance Altamar).

I brought my TF100 out and ran these numbers:

FC = 0.6
    CC = 0.2
    TA = 40
    pH = 7.2
    CH = 250
    CYA = 0

My mother-in-law uses Dichlor and just threw about a half a cap full in this morning. A cap full is 2 ounces by weight, so that should raise the FC to 9 but it's almost gone and no one has used it.

So, my question is do the same rules apply for cya/fc and shock levels? And does she need to worry about that CH level? Or does this just not need to be that complicated - can she just shock the **** out of it for a few days straight and be done with it?
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Balancing a spa...new to me...

Take a look at How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?. That should contain the answers to your questions.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Balancing a spa...new to me...

I read through that but I still wasn't sure what to do with the CH. Is the idea to target a CSI of 0 by manipulating the other numbers? In her case, it would end up with TA of around 80.

I guess the shock question is just that you regularly shock a spa anyway.
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4