Need to repair plaster

ggo36

Jul 6, 2013
Topics merged, please don't double post. Bama

the plaster has popped up on top of one of the steps. It's about the size of a coffee cup.
Can I repair this myself? If so, what product do you recommend.

Our pool is Gunite....The plaster has popped up on top of one of the steps. It's about the size of a coffee cup. It really looks like it's just a slurry coat over white plaster..very thin, flaking material.
Can I repair this myself? If so, what product do you recommend.

Is your finish on the pool white plaster? I just used a product called Perma-Pool-Patch to reset a bunch of tiles that had fallen off our pool. It is really for repairing the plaster, but the pool store also recommended it for resetting tiles and even as a white grout. It was fairly easy to use, I used a plastic cup with a plastic spoon and plastic knife, and could use about three spoonfuls of powder to a slight bit of water, mix, and apply to 3-4 tiles at a time before it became too set up to use. It sets up FAST.

It can be used underwater, too, it needs to be mixed thicker, more like a putty, rolled in your hand like play-doh. I reset about 9 tiles underwater on the steps and it worked great as long as I had it mixed thickly - when it was too thin, the tiles popped off. However, I couldn't reset the wall tiles underwater, they kept falling off and I may not have been getting the consistency correct. I eventually drained the water to just below the tiles and set them all. It's only been about four days, but they seem rock solid right now.

Good luck!

Hi MiaOKc....Yes the plaster is white. The material that is lifting & popping out looks like 'egg shell' quality. The underlaying plaster is fine & smooth. That's why I mentioned it looks like a slurry coat 'over' plaster. The place is underwater so since it is the top step we can drain down to that place easily. It's on the flat center in the middle of the step, right where you would put your foot to enter the pool. No tiles involved. I would like instructions from someone about how to patch this thin coating that is over perfectly good plaster. Some videos talk about sanding out the section. It's not that big of a problem like a crack would be. We don't know which product would be best we have looked at ArmorGuard Expoxy coating, EZ Patch 1 (Acrylic bonding material)..Everyone has a different idea.....Thanks....

Maybe post a picture and someone else could offer feedback? Perhaps your steps have a "slip resistant" coating applied within the plaster on the steps, and that's why the slightly different texture over regular plaster? Just a thought...

Whole pool has the same seal coat...not a slip resistant product. It happened on the 4th of July. We weren't home that night. When we think about it, my husband remembers picking up some black 'soot' like dirt when he was using the net the next morning in that area. The damage looks like a cherry bomb landed & the percussion caused the problem. We will contact our pool construction company to have them do the repairs. Thanks anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.