Farm chemical drift?

Jun 1, 2011
Kenton, TN
Good afternoon,

First I want to say that my pool water is crystal clear thanks to the advice I've received on this forum for the past three pool seasons and my ability to test my own water and use the pool calculator to adjust. Thanks!!!

My poor neighbor however needs some help. Last year, he did not get his inground pool covered for some reason. You can imagine what it looked like. They fished out two dead squirrels, one dead cat, one dead snake, and a whole heaping load of leaves, etc. Ordinarily they take the cover off the first week of June, but this year, there was no cover.

We live in a rural area. The farmer behind us sprayed his beans. My neighbors water was already yucky so they didn't notice any immediate effects. However, when they started taking samples to the pool store, the pool store folks asked where the water came from. Pool store told my neighbors it looked like something from the gulf oil spill on paper - and high in phosphates. Several hundred dollars worth of chemicals later, I heard they were having a devil of a time getting their pool clear, so I headed up the street with my test kit. The initial results were:

FC. 0
CC. 0
pH. 7.6
TA. 200
CYA. 40

I told them how much bleach to add to get it to 20 ppm. The cya/chlorine chart says 16 is shock level. I figured 20 would be even better. I gave them a gallon of muriatic acid and told them to add that, direct their returns upward, brush sides and bottom daily, run filter on main drain only, and backwash often. They have diligently kept enough bleach to maintain at least 16 ppm FC. Today's results were:

FC. 16
CC. 5.
pH. 7.2
TA 180
CYA. 40

They said when they first began adding pool store chemicals, they had a layer of gunk on top that looked like nacho cheese and smelled like a decaying corpse. Not surprising given what they fished out. Now they have a foam that sits on top the water that looked white until they scoop it off with a net. Then it looks likes like a frothy caramel frappe.

They ran into a friend (agricultural chemical sales rep) last night. Got to talking about their pool problems, and he told them that the herbicides farmers use contain an oil to help the chemical adhere to the bean leaves and that their only hope was to completely drain, scrub their liner, and refill.

My neighbors have so much confidence in my test kit and the advice on this forum. Is there something else they can do?

Another question - did the initial CC reading of 0 come from everything bring settled on the bottom ( they had filter on skimmer)? I've told them to add another gallon of muriatic acid.

I know this is s long post. I apologize. They have an inground pool, 16 X 32, vinyl liner, sand filter, Hayward pump.

Thanks so much for your help,
Cheryl Reddin
Kenton, TN
30' AG, vinyl liner, sand filter

Sounds like you are getting there. If there is no obvious oil slick on the top, then I wouldn't worry about oil for now. Products like "Pool Perfect" can help get rid of small amounts of oily substances, but I would use it until you know you need it.

The foaming could be due to something the pool store had them put in, or possibly did they use bleach that has "scent" or is called splash-less? Or it could just be part of the process of clearing up the pool. Regardless keep up the shocking process.

Is the latest CC value 5 or 0.5? CC will typically not show up until chlorine has been sufficiently supplied to the water.

The latest CC is 5 and it was 0 at first then it rose to 3 and now 5. I figured it showed 0 at first because they had the filter on skimmer and I was getting my sample above where the concentration of yuck was. I aldo eondered if CC would show if FC was 0. Plus they weren't brushing at first. I thought that might account for the rise.

There is some noticeable oiliness. The water bottle I've been using to get water samples feels oily and you could see water beading on my beighbor's hand when he got the water sample today.

linen said:
If there is significant amount of oil, then getting it out with oil absorbant pads followed by an enzyme treatment like Pool Perfect might work.

I'll second that!.
Check out this link for a source, from someone in the oil/gas industry. I don't know of anyone that has used them on here, but that doesn't mean they don't work.
www.troublefreepool.com/sunscreen-sheen ... ml#p532502

Also, DE is really good at absorbing and trapping oil, so adding it to their sand filter may help. But this may be too much oil to do enough good. Also worth a shot while you wait for the absorbing pads to come in.

Having that big of an oil problem, I'd just float a bunch them all over the top of the water.

Who knows, you might not even need the pool perfect product afterward.

Ps.
:nopic:

Cherylr said:
I will post pics tomorrow and pass along this info! Thank you so much.

Cheryl
Please do that, this is going to be interesting. If there is oil on the surface, use any mechanical means you reasonably can to remove it. Any kind of oil will increase demand on the FC. Also, I don't mean to sound alarmist, but I wonder what sort of pesticides might drift into your pools from the farm spraying. It might be worth looking into...just sayin. Look forward to an update, and tell them people as far away in Texas are curious.
:mrgreen:

Cherylr said:
I will post pics tomorrow and pass along this info! Thank you so much.

Cheryl
You're welcome Cheryl! We love to help people. :mrgreen:

Add me to that list, I'm clear over in Oregon!
Our Pastor and his family are from TN!! Great folks. :goodjob:

Remind your neighbor, as well as yourself to hang in there. Share some POP with him too. That stands for "pool owner patience". :cheers:

Ps.
Please fill in your signature and location info in your profile as instructed in the 1st link in pool school. This way we can better assist you based on your climate and equipment.

Sorry for the delay on the pics. I've been in the sweet corn field myself helping my daughters (19 and 13) earn some mad money. :) I've been too busy to check on my neighbors, and I don't think they've ordered any oil absorbing pads or Pool Perfect.

Here are the pics.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.