Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool consuming 4 ppm of Chlorine per day. Is this normal?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool consuming 4 ppm of Chlorine per day. Is this normal?

23,800 gallon above ground pool. Vinyl liner. Full sun. Crystal clear water. Average recent temps in low to mid 80s. Taylor FAS-DPD test kit.

pH - 7.7
    TA - 110
    CYA - 50
    CC - 0

Taget FC - 6
    Min FC - 4

I've been needing to raise the FC each day to 8 in order to keep it from dropping below 4 by the next day. That generally takes one full jug (121 oz) of 8.25% Great Value bleach from Wal-Mart. Some days take more than one jug.

I've performed a couple of overnight tests to verify no chlorine loss at night.

3 bucks per day seems pretty cheap to run a pool, but the Chlorine use seems high compared to other results that I've read in this board.

Is 4 ppm per day normal?
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool consuming 4 ppm of Chlorine per day. Is this norma

4ppm seems a bit high, but with full sun and that giant surface area for the sun to attack, probably still within normal. You can try bumping the CYA up to 60 to see if that slows the chlorine consumption. Just watch your min FC like a hawk. If you were to need to shock, it would start getting difficult.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

4 ppm could be normal if you live somewhere like Phoenix or Las Vegas and get a lot of intense sun and a lot of swimmers trying to cool off.

The best way to tell if you're developing a problem is the overnight loss test. The chlorine is either being consumed by organics or sunlight. This will rule out sunlight.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine eats between 3.5 and 4 daily for the last 4 years. Little less when the water is not as hot, but the pool is full sun---------period! It seems to be...MY....normal at least with my cya around 50.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Is that usage regardless of swimmers (with and without)?

Do you get a lot of organic debris in the pool?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

I should have mentioned that 2-3 swimmers use the pool for a couple of hours 4 or 5 times per week. Usage does not appear to have an effect on chlorine loss.

The only debris in the pool are a few grass clippings if I mow on a windy day.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Pretty normal. Those swimmers have some effect whether you detect it or not. I lose about 3 ppm daily, Full sun and VERY little bather load except for Molly the Dog.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

The chlorine demand from bather load in a residential pool is generally rather low. Every bather-hour is roughly 4 grams of chlorine demand (as ppm Cl2). So in a 10,000 gallon pool, every bather-hour is only 0.1 ppm FC. It would take 7 bather-hours in a 7500 gallon pool to have 1 ppm FC chlorine demand from those bathers. This assumes, of course, that they aren't urinating in the pool. One cup of urine is roughly the same as 8 bather-hours.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"