Do I need a new SWG?

Jul 6, 2013
I'm new to TFP and this is the 2nd summer in this house with a pool.

The pool is 22,000 gal saline pool with Goldline Hayward equipment. Pool is 7 years old. I do not know if the SWG has ever been replaced.

The past few weeks I have been getting a low salt error. I've added salt and cleaned the SWG.

Last week I got the low salt error again. I had my water tested at a pool store. I had no TC or FC and salt was 3300 (my display was saying salt was 2700.) All other tests were in or very close to in range. I shocked the pool with quick shock and added a bag of salt. The next day the display showed salt at 3100. I did a superchlorinate and left for vacation for a week.

I returned from vacation to find the "chlorinator off/check salt level" error. I had the water tested at pool store again. Salt is 3800, TC =0, FC=0, pH=8.4. I added MA and shocked pool with quick shock packets.

Do I need a new SWG?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not really sure if there is buildup. I've looked inside the SWG and cleaned it 2x. It is a Blue Haven Pool SWG which has a white grid over the plates so I can't see the plates clearly.

Need? No, you don't need a SWG, though they can be very nice to have.

As linen said, your symptoms fit with either the cell wearing out or calcium scaling on the cell plates.

By the by, PH at 8.4 is way too high and should be lowered immediately. High PH is the primary cause of calcium scaling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.