Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: replace heyward superpump

1. Back To Top    #1

replace heyward superpump

looking to change heyward 2hp superpump which went bad after 7 years. was going to replace with another heyward until i started reading up on vs pumps and in particular the pentair series. can you recomend anything. i have a 18x36 inground with a 12x15 L attached vinyl liner.pool was built 7 years ago. i also have a 4 person spillover hottub attached with a seperate heyward 2hp superpump for it and a Heyward DE 4820 filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: replace heyward superpump

Welcome to tfp, squire

Pentair only has intelliflo vs pump afaik. This pump is really too large for most residential applications where there are not high volume water features. Hayward has just started selling smaller vs pumps (superpump vs and max-flo vs) which might be better fits for you.

If it is just your motor that has gone bad, you could look at replacing it with a 2-speed motor much cheaper then buying a new pump.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

thank you. one other question please, i have a small amount of air bubbles coming out of 2 of my 6 return lines going into the pool .any idea what causes this and would that contribute to my hetward pump failing ?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by squire
    thank you. one other question please, i have a small amount of air bubbles coming out of 2 of my 6 return lines going into the pool .any idea what causes this and would that contribute to my hetward pump failing ?
    I've got the Hayward VS SuperPump on the pool and really enjoy it. While it does cost more than just replacing with a 2speed motor, the ability to select the exact flow-rate and the length of time each setting is ran is nice.

As for the bubbles.....sounds like maybe an air leak in the suction side of the motor??

5. Back To Top    #5

thank you !