can't get the pool sparkly clear and getting frustrated....

Aug 9, 2010
Here's what I have for numbers as of this morning:
FC 5
CC .5
pH 7.2
TA 90
CYA 30

I have a good test kit from TFTestkits.com and have used it to get my swamp back to *almost* clean, but can't seem to get there all the way. I have passed the overnight chlorine test several times and the water is a dull bluish-green. In the past I have had problems with metal in the water so I ordered metal magic and used it as I have in the past, but to no avail. Pool has been vacuumed, walls scrubbed several times, shocked probably way more than you might believe (I've spent a small fortune on bleach, and my garbage company is probably wondering what kind of bomb or something I'm concocting with the number of bottles they've taken, haha), and I'm ready to throw in the towel and just say to the kids that it is what it is for the rest of the summer.
On top of that, yesterday after bumping the filter, the return jet back into the pool threw dirty water back in for about 5 seconds. That was after just recharging with fresh DE that morning. BTW, I have a Hayward EC-40 DE filter.

Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch!

Any suggestions before I give up?

Re: can't get the pool sparkly clear and getting frustrated.

momofmany said:
On top of that, yesterday after bumping the filter, the return jet back into the pool threw dirty water back in for about 5 seconds. That was after just recharging with fresh DE that morning. BTW, I have a Hayward EC-40 DE filter.

Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch!

Any suggestions before I give up?
Just a few days ago I found the manual for that style of filter online. Yours doesn't actually backwash to clean it. You bump it a whole bunch, then just drain the mess. But they recommend turning on the pump for a few seconds after draining, but with the drain open, to flush out the loose stuff. If you neglected that part, it might account for stuff blowing back into the pool.

Re: can't get the pool sparkly clear and getting frustrated.

I do that with the drain open for about 30 seconds, so I don't believe that to be the issue. I honestly have hated this filter since I have gotten it, but everybody keeps telling me how wonderful of a job it does, so I've kept it. But for next year, I'm already thinking about getting a new one. We had a hayward sand filter before, and I loved it, so I think I may go back to sand. In saying all of this, I am certainly not implying that I know it all, b/c obviously I don't. Otherwise, I'd have a beautifully clean pool :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.