White line on rocks

Jul 5, 2013
My pool has been SWG, but when the system died, I had to switch to chlorine treatment while resolving my problem. Over the last couple of weeks, the stone above the pebble-tech has obtained a white-ish line at surface level. It doesn't just scrub off. What caused that? And how do I get rid of it? Very noticeable against the medium brown rocks.

FC 0
TAC 2
pH 7.8
Total Alk 80
CYA 100
Salt 2,300
Phosph 200

Leslie's got these results about 4 days ago. Since then, I've added 6 cups Mur Acid, 3 bags salt (to prep for salt system coming back online which it hasn't), and 2 pounds shock. I'll test again tomorrow.

Since I need to replace the SWG/cell, it will be a bit before I get away from chlorine tabs in the skimmers.

Pool is 30,000 with 2.0 hp Jandy Stealth.

Yikes! The calcium is certainly not your biggest issue.

You need to get some chlorine in your pool and not with pucks. Pucks drive your CYA up too high and you are already w-a-a-ay too high.

Get your own test kit, stay out of the pool store and get some chlorine in your pool.

Anyway, to get rid of that scale, mix 3:1 water and muriatic acid and, when applied to the scale it should "fizz" and remove the scale. If it does not, increase the concentration until it does.

What does your water look like?

Water is greenish and a bit cloudy. Without my salt generator in place yet, do I use shock to get chlorine in there? I have a test kit and will post results tomorrow. I appreciate the guidance. Never been good with chemical
balancing, even though all was pretty good when the generator worked.

I tested my water this morning with the testing kit left by the previous owner. Blue plastic box with 5 chemicals and some literature.

Chlorine residual test: 0.3 compared to goal of 1.0-1.5 Do I just add 3-4 lbs of shock?

pH Test: about 8.2

Acid Demand Test: had to add 2 drops of #3 to get color to 7.6 pH. Chart indicates for 30,000 gal to add 3P acid.

Total Alk Test: had to add 7 drops of #3 to get light yellow color. I have no clue what this means.

Question: Is this test kit adequate? Are there other tests in newer kits? It's probably 7 yrs old.

You need a good test kit like I have Tf-100 with xl option
Read pool school on how to shock your pool
Shocking is a process not a product
If you listen to the guys here they will help get your pool Sparkling Clear like they did for me
But you have to listen and do what they tell you
Stay away from the pool store they only want your money

I've ordered the Tf-50 since I already have a pH test kit. I also discovered the one of my DE filter grids had a tear and other had the skeleton broken. I've ordered a new set. Now I need to pull the trigger on an SWG and cell. I'm probably going with Hayward's Aqua Rite and T-15 cell unless there is an opinion on a better alternative.

So, once the filter is right, the SWG is installed, and I have a good test kit, I can get this beast back in line. In the meantime, I'm fighting black algae, a cleaner filter that clogs quickly from all the stuff in the water, and a layer of yellowish dust on the pool bottom.

Liquid chlorine or plain old bleach is your friend. Go read Pool School. If you have read it, read it again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.