Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White line on rocks

1. Back To Top    #1

White line on rocks

My pool has been SWG, but when the system died, I had to switch to chlorine treatment while resolving my problem. Over the last couple of weeks, the stone above the pebble-tech has obtained a white-ish line at surface level. It doesn't just scrub off. What caused that? And how do I get rid of it? Very noticeable against the medium brown rocks.
    30,000 gal salt with spa; built 2006; Jandy 2 hp single speed Stealth; 48 sf Pentair DE filter; Pentair 4 wheel cleaner; Jandy 1400 SWG and 1400PLC salt cell. New filter grids, cleaner pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White line on rocks

Can you post us up a battery of testing results including salt levels please?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

pics always help but if it's at the waterline, it's usually calcium deposits caused by a combination of circumstances (that's why woodyp is asking for test results)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

FC 0
    TAC 2
    pH 7.8
    Total Alk 80
    CYA 100
    Salt 2,300
    Phosph 200

Leslie's got these results about 4 days ago. Since then, I've added 6 cups Mur Acid, 3 bags salt (to prep for salt system coming back online which it hasn't), and 2 pounds shock. I'll test again tomorrow.

Since I need to replace the SWG/cell, it will be a bit before I get away from chlorine tabs in the skimmers.

Pool is 30,000 with 2.0 hp Jandy Stealth.
    30,000 gal salt with spa; built 2006; Jandy 2 hp single speed Stealth; 48 sf Pentair DE filter; Pentair 4 wheel cleaner; Jandy 1400 SWG and 1400PLC salt cell. New filter grids, cleaner pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Yikes! The calcium is certainly not your biggest issue.

You need to get some chlorine in your pool and not with pucks. Pucks drive your CYA up too high and you are already w-a-a-ay too high.

Get your own test kit, stay out of the pool store and get some chlorine in your pool.

Anyway, to get rid of that scale, mix 3:1 water and muriatic acid and, when applied to the scale it should "fizz" and remove the scale. If it does not, increase the concentration until it does.

What does your water look like?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Water is greenish and a bit cloudy. Without my salt generator in place yet, do I use shock to get chlorine in there? I have a test kit and will post results tomorrow. I appreciate the guidance. Never been good with chemical
    balancing, even though all was pretty good when the generator worked.

7. Back To Top    #7

I tested my water this morning with the testing kit left by the previous owner. Blue plastic box with 5 chemicals and some literature.

Chlorine residual test: 0.3 compared to goal of 1.0-1.5 Do I just add 3-4 lbs of shock?

pH Test: about 8.2

Acid Demand Test: had to add 2 drops of #3 to get color to 7.6 pH. Chart indicates for 30,000 gal to add 3P acid.

Total Alk Test: had to add 7 drops of #3 to get light yellow color. I have no clue what this means.

Question: Is this test kit adequate? Are there other tests in newer kits? It's probably 7 yrs old.

8. Back To Top    #8

You need a good test kit like I have Tf-100 with xl option
    Read pool school on how to shock your pool
    Shocking is a process not a product
    If you listen to the guys here they will help get your pool Sparkling Clear like they did for me
    But you have to listen and do what they tell you
    Stay away from the pool store they only want your money
    14600gal, In-Ground Fiberglass, Haywood s244t Sand Filter, Jandy Apure35 SWG,
    Haywood 2 speed 1hp pump, Haywood Pool Shark, TF-100 Test Kit http://tftestkits.net/
    Pool School http://www.troublefreepool.com/categ...etting_started
    Never been Pool Stored Thanks to TFP

9. Back To Top    #9

I've ordered the Tf-50 since I already have a pH test kit. I also discovered the one of my DE filter grids had a tear and other had the skeleton broken. I've ordered a new set. Now I need to pull the trigger on an SWG and cell. I'm probably going with Hayward's Aqua Rite and T-15 cell unless there is an opinion on a better alternative.

So, once the filter is right, the SWG is installed, and I have a good test kit, I can get this beast back in line. In the meantime, I'm fighting black algae, a cleaner filter that clogs quickly from all the stuff in the water, and a layer of yellowish dust on the pool bottom.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Liquid chlorine or plain old bleach is your friend. Go read Pool School. If you have read it, read it again.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit