16 x 32 ingroud pool - new vinyl liner, sand bottom

bgcole

Jul 5, 2013
Hi all - happy to have found the TFP website. had i found it before, i wouldnt need a new liner ;)... live and learn i guess. Never unscrew the gasket around the stairs is what i learned. :hammer:

Location of pool is Rochester NY, deck is concrete.

Here is a link to the photo album with a bunch of pictures.
http://poolliner7613.shutterfly.com/pictures

I am replacing my vinyl liner with a liner from intheswim.com, have it most of the way taken out, took the measurements, nothing has been ordered yet....theyre quoting

The sand bottom is in pretty rough shape in some spots, there was water behind the liner for about 2 years since i didnt open it last summer. Its hard, there are small rocks that seem to have come to the surface. there are areas where it has washed away, broken off... there are areas where its literally as hard as concrete
(white areas in pictures). My understanding of the sand process is to get it really wet, and basically reform it with masonry sand.

Here are the questions i have so far:
1) should i take alot of the existing sand out?
a. i.e. 1-2" all around? is it hard to reform the coved walls?
2) should i even be considering ordering the liner before doing the sand? I wanted to do the sand when liner arrived, and then immediately install the liner when the bottom is 'perfect' (all on same day basically....
3) my fiberglass walls have rust at the bottom evident in pics, should i rectify that?
4)Foam, should i cover fiberglass with foam all around?
5) what about the foam triangles some do around the bottom of shallow end to relieve tension?
6) rubber gasketing - do i need to remove the existing rubber around the stairs? I only hesitate because i would like to be able to feel the holes when i get to the attachment phase
a)if replacing, On the pool wall side, whats the best way to attach/glue it?
b) do you buy rubber and slice it up to fit? pool store wanted $70 for rubber gasketing just for stairs, that seemed like a typical pool store gouge...
c) any thing like vaseline used when screwing through liner and gaskets to get it sealed?
7) when i measured, my corner radius' where all different(+/- 1.5"), but they all look exactly the same. is this typical or more likely a measuring error? I used a straight edge to continue the line coping was on on both sides, measure from intersecting point back to start of first "button" in coping.

generally as far as the installation goes with suction and stuff
Any other tips, concerns or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I want to get liner ordered monday morning but need to answer that sand question first.

Ben

I also have a 16 x 32 ft pool. My advice is to have them put a lock strip around the entire pool that will prevent the liner from disconnecting along the edge. My pool had several spots that had the liner sag and was really a pain to put back. The pool tech was able to fix the sags in 10 min and the lock in 30 min. It would have taken me days to do this and I would be suffering from bending over.

1) If you go with sand again you want about 1" all around. You might want to consider switching to pool crete. It is a little more work up front, but much simpler to work with and more forgiving.
2) No, get everything right, measure, order, and when the liner arrives touch things up.
3) It is better if you do, but not essential.
4) Again, good idea, but not essential.
5) Likewise
6) Gaskets are not my thing. Hopefully someone who knows will be along. A photo would help, as there are a couple of kinds.
7) If you are close it will be fine. The liner has some stretch. If your numbers are very different, you should measure again.

It is nice to have some helpers on the day of the install.

Thanks Jason -

Ill wait to hear from someone on the gaskets.

I think i'm going to go the sand route rather than the pool krete but thanks

I have to say im really concerned about doing the sand before ordering the liner, we have been getting alot of rain around here this year. even since Thursday ive had to pump several inches out 3-4 times. Its going to need more than patching and there is rain in the forecast indefinitely.

Another person told me i shouldn't worry about it because and inch of masonry sand will pack down so much.

Also, What do you guys think about eliminating my main drain? It hasnt ever worked since I got the house - and i have a feeling it might have been blocked for safety.

Also - Im having a lot of trouble locating new face places for around the stairs, returns and skimmer. ideas?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.