Quick hot tub question

Jul 9, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Guys and Gals!! Long time no type!! :wave:

I had, at one time, an above ground pool at our other house (See my pics) and now at the new house we have a Hot Tub (Leisure Bay Santo 1 man, 3 women tub) roughly 300 gallons... My questions are as follows:

1. Can I use chemicals the same in this hot tub as I did in the pool, but using smaller amounts as instructed by the Pool Calculator (Meaning CYA and Clorox and such)

2. Will the heat eat up the chlorine similar to what the sun does?

I'm having issues now using Bromine and trying to keep the PH in check. It seems to run really high (My TA runs around 70-90)

Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated!! :cheers:

pitguy3 said:
1. Can I use chemicals the same in this hot tub as I did in the pool, but using smaller amounts as instructed by the Pool Calculator (Meaning CYA and Clorox and such)
You bet, or at least close! See the dichlor then bleach method here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/how-do-i-use-chlorine-in-my-spa-or-pool-t10095.html
pitguy3 said:
2. Will the heat eat up the chlorine similar to what the sun does?
Assuming the hot tub is covered so that the sun is not using up the chlorine, then a properly maintained tub with "new" water should use about 25% of its chlorine level per day.

pitguy3 said:
I'm having issues now using Bromine and trying to keep the PH in check. It seems to run really high (My TA runs around 70-90)
Since hot tubs have a lot of aeration/volume, they tend to rise in ph more than pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.