New ABG buyer - need help!

minxcal

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2013
South FL
Hello! I've been researching and even lurking here for a bit, so I had a pretty solid idea of what to ask for when I made (what I thought would be) my final trip to sign a contract for a new 18' Matrix with SWG. However, as he was writing up the quote, I decided I'd better bring you all the details and see what fine tuning I might need as a first time pool owner before signing the dotted line.

The filter that they push is DE, but after researching here and talking to my husband, who is the Certified Pool guy for the apartment complex he works at, that seems like a lot and a cartridge might be better, since I'm the one who has to do the maintenance here. (He doesn't want ANYTHING to do w/ a pool at home!)

The pump they quote is 1.5HP - and that's all I know about that. Would a 1HP be more efficient and still enough?

Other inclusions are Chemical Kit, Vacuum kit, winter cover, A-Frame ladder (which will be obsolete once we get our deck extended!), solar cover, underwater light, auto timer, winterizing plate, thermometer, and leaf skimmer.

Any modifications I should make?

Thank you for your time!

The 1 HP pump will be plenty. Filter systems are largely a matter of choice and balance between filtering capabilities and ease of maintenance. The sand being the easiest to maintain and probably the DE for filtering finer stuff. You'll either be adding more DE when you backwash or cleaning filters. Welcome!

Welcome to tfp, minxcal :wave:

minxcal said:
The filter that they push is DE, but after researching here and talking to my husband, who is the Certified Pool guy for the apartment complex he works at, that seems like a lot and a cartridge might be better, since I'm the one who has to do the maintenance here. (He doesn't want ANYTHING to do w/ a pool at home!)
If you don't have water restrictions, I would consider a sand filter as well, since I find that one to be the easiest to maintain (I have a cart on my hot tub...I do not have much direct experience with DE) and you will be winterizing. Regardless, here are the minimum sizes we would recommend assuming 7600 gallons:
  • DE: 20 sq. ft.
    Cart: 112 sq. ft.
    Sand: 1.4 sq. ft.

All three filter technologies will get the job done. Here is an excerpt from the Hydraulics 101 thread:
Which filter is best for you depends on your situation:

Cartridge Filters: Most energy efficient and don't require back-washing. Best suited for areas with water restriction, high electrical rates and/or pools that use a SWG.

Sand Filters: Easiest for algae clean up. Best suited for areas where the pool is closed for the winter and/or high algae potential.

DE Filters: Best filtration. Best suited for owners that really want their water to be as clean as possible.

minxcal said:
The pump they quote is 1.5HP - and that's all I know about that. Would a 1HP be more efficient and still enough?
It is likely too big. We would recommend a 2-speed low HP pump such as the pentair dynamo 3/4 2-speed. Most of the time you would run it on low speed.

minxcal said:
Other inclusions are Chemical Kit, Vacuum kit, winter cover, A-Frame ladder (which will be obsolete once we get our deck extended!), solar cover, underwater light, auto timer, winterizing plate, thermometer, and leaf skimmer.
I would skip the chemical kit if you can, since it is likely much of that will not be used if you use the methods taught here at tfp.

minxcal said:
Any modifications I should make?
18' is kind of small, to go larger does not cost much more. We have people claim they wished they could go larger, but I do not recall anyone wishing they went smaller.

Thank you so much for the welcome and your recommendations! I've wanted a pool my whole LIFE, and I never thought I would buy one in July... but, we had gotten quotes back in March, and the price I worked out on this quote - including install - was actually $2000 cheaper for the same pool now. (and it will be in by the end of the month - permit waiting time permitting) I really wanted oval, but the installation was thousands of dollars more.

Filling the pool is part of the installation, but for topping off, we will be using water from our well, which can be rough. We have had a hot tub for about a year, and other than the initial fill, we haven't had any issues with the water, so I'm sure it will be fine. Great point about winterizing though - sand it is!

Linen - the pool is pretty much solely for my stress relief/floating - and a way to escape the heat and humidity we get this time of year without freezing in our subzero house. Plus, because it was in stock, and the last one, I got a pretty good deal on it - paying pretty much the same from a dealer that I would have online. Gave me the incentive to go w/ SWG!

Got the permit!

Merged by moderator. No need to start a new thread. Thanks, jblizzle

A week later (and just 15 minutes before they closed for the day), my permit for our new ABG was approved! Called the installer and they should be able to install Thursday or Friday of next week! :party:

The electrician said they only needed about a week's notice, so that should be easy.

But, before I start scheduling things, I thought I would ask all of you... We're going out of town for hubby's birthday that following Saturday and Sunday night. Should I just schedule install for when we get back rather than leaving a newly filled pool unattended for a couple of days?

You all are AWESOME!

Oh - and when I change the signature to include all the goodies, besides 18' Matrix, SWG, and whatever pump/filter I end up with, you will see TF100!

Welcome

I would like to add that you have all your chem's on hand for the first fill so you can start out on the right foot.

I see your getting the TF100. Good choice you won't regret it.
Take all the courses in pool school, their free !!

Enjoy your new pool and keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Six days, one response. This was why I started a new thread. Thank you, pwrstrk for responding, wish others would have too.

The pool will be in installed on Thursday. I'd like to start w/ BBB from the get go, and knowing that I'll be out of town Saturday - Monday, I want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for disaster.

I realize I should test the fill water first (and I do have a TF100), but in preparation, what should I have on hand? Bleach is easy enough to run to Costco to grab.

Thanks, all.

Will anybody be able to watch, add chlorine while your away?
If not you can use some pucks in a floater while your away and when you get back go with bleach.

How ever you do it chlorine and stabilizer needs to go in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.