Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panicked really need help

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Panicked really need help

Ok TFP folks. Thanks for all your chemical wisdom and teaching me how to keep my pool a sparkling oasis. Now I have a much different problem.

Woke up today to an empty pool.

I posted last night in the rain rain go away thread about having to drain water daily due to all of our rain. "Someone" went out to drain again last night and did so on waste setting. Turned pump off but left filter handle on waste. This morning pool is drained to maybe 1foot of water in shallow end.

1. did this happen because the knob was left on waste or am I looking for some other malfunction?

2. I don't know what to do once full as I'm sure there is air in all plumbing now.

Filling as I type but that will take a while I guess.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Panicked really need help

Once that flow gets started, it's pretty much gonna keep on flowing unless the handle is moved back correctly. Been there done that myself! Only difference is mine just got to the skimmer bottom because I have no floor drain. Were you using a floor drain? A water fill should push most air out of the lines. then just bleed off the filter and make sure the strainer basket is full. Then of course, bring all your levels back into line as described in pool school.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Panic is not in the BBB vocabulary

1. did this happen because the knob was left on waste.........
    That's why it happened. Pool water loves to be free and all it needs is a path to a lower spot. That open valve and Mr Gravity does the rest.

You'll have no serious problems when your pool is refilled.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

It sounds like your waste line leads off somewhere lower than the pool and you just set up a siphon.

When the pool is full again, just fill the pump strainer with a hose, put the lid back on, and start the pump. It may make some noise for a minute and slosh but it should prime. Open the air bleed if you have one and let any trapped air out of the filter and within I'd say, two minutes, everything should be fine.

And then you get to rebalance everything. Remember, set it up as a bleach pool, then dissolve the salt, then turn the SWG back on. Check out the highlighted post here, if you have kids.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Ok thanks for the replies. The build was in 2011 so I've never experienced having to deal with any equipment issues. Was in complete panic. (Ok thanks so much folks. Calming down now)

There are two floor drains. Water didn't completely drain I'm guessing since pump and filter are downhill a bit from full water level. It drained until they were equal I'm guessing. There was still several inches in shallow end. HOPEFULLY that will spare us from liner damage.

I feel completely confident about getting chemicals balanced once full again but may have equipment questions as I try to get up and running again.

Cool thing about this is now I get to play BBB all by myself since builder did initial chemicals upon install and I was ignorant. Here I come pool calculator.

This site has been a Godsend. Thanks folks.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Thanks Richard. on that thread link. I've read that one (I spend too much time reading here). Fortunately I work for a foodservice distributor. I buy non iodized food grade salt AT COST. my salt costs me way less than half of retail pool salt but no diamond days since it is granulated. I can't purchase from work until Monday and may get stopped from buying 700 lbs that pool calc says I will need so it may go in in increments. Have cal-hypo on hand from having to go through shock process 2weeks ago and my fill water is about 0 CH. I think I will be good to go chemically except for buying stabilizer.

Y'all are great here. I'm not panicked anymore. Time to send in some more as a supporter of this site just as soon as I recover from this.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Oh my !!!!!!! Will a watched pool ever fill? LOL. I'm so antsy to move on with chemical balance. Dissolving CYA in socks in buckets even.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH
    Oh my !!!!!!! Will a watched pool ever fill? LOL. I'm so antsy to move on with chemical balance. Dissolving CYA in socks in buckets even.
    You want it to fill faster? Make a quick dash to the store to get one thing....it will be overflowing by the time you get home.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Lol. Thanks Richard. Silly me didn't want to leave it unattended for that very reason so sent hubby into town to buy the stabilizer and borax. Still not even up to the skimmers

Thanks to everyone who so kindly responds on this site I'm not panicked but now taking this light heartedly as lesson learned.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Ok. Water is finally about an inch above skimmer mouth. Still needs 5-6 inches to be "full". But since water is filling skimmers I can start pump again right?

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok. Water is finally about an inch above skimmer mouth. Still needs 5-6 inches to be "full". But since water is filling skimmers I can start pump again right?
    If the pump will prime and you have a low speed setting you can start the pump. Gues by now it is probably already full. Glad everything worked out OK for you.
    13,500gal AGP Matrix 24'
    Pentair Sanddollar SD-80 75GPM filter, Pentair Dynamo 1HP 2 speed pump
    Polaris 65 pool cleaner
    (20'x30" solar heater to be installed)

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, just be sure that when you turn the pumps on, there isn't a vortex being created that's sucking air into the pumps.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

13. Back To Top    #13

29,000 gallons ? You might have wanted to see if there were other options (i.e. water service company that delivers by the semi tank load). That's what I did when we replaced the liner a couple years ago. Two loads (6000 gallons each) plus 7000 gallons from well got me refilled in about 24 hours.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

There were still several inches still in the deep end so it wasn't all 28 or 29k gallons. I wan hoses from two spigots to keep our well pump from cycling on and off. It was full by about 8 last night. Took maybe 9 or 10 hours not precisely sure when I started. That was when I was panicked but all is well now. Going to check chemicals now.

Shallow end. Not deep end.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Test results

FC 5
    CC 0
    PH 6.8
    TA 44
    CYA 45
    Borates 15
    Salt 2140

Should I bring up to shock level until OCLT pass since it is new fill or just proceed with adjusting ph TA cya etc?

16. Back To Top    #16

I would bring your ph up a bit first step
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

17. Back To Top    #17

Refresh our collective memories...were you in the midst of the shock process, or were things just humming along smoothly? Wherever you were, adjust pH and resume what you were doing.

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

I was letting FC come down from shocking. I checked FC when about 1/2 full yesterday and still got 10. Today it is 5 with SWG off (can't get salt until tomowwow). I've added borax and will check PH again in a bit. Have CYA in a sock in the skimmer.

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Update:

Thanks to all the knowledge I've gained here.....pool got refilled and here are today's #'s

FC 5
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 77
    Borates 30

Am I missing anything?

20. Back To Top    #20

You'll need to know your CYA number once you get it into the water & it can register.

If you haven't added stabilizer post fill you'll want to do so, wait a week and make sure you got it to what you need it to be.
    AGP: 27' x 52" : 17,500 gallon
    300 lb. Sand Filter (75 gpm) / 1.5 hp pump
    Full Sun ~ All Day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast