new pump

flyweed

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2009
SW Wisconsin
Hey all. Ok, I replaced our old hayward pump that died a year ago with an "el cheapo" chinese unit..that I set down next to the pool last year, and it worked fine for the year. I hooked it up this season and it's just not a great pump, it's loud, doesn't seem to pump a lot of water (compared to our old Hayward)...so what I am looking for is to replace it with a decent pump, BUT I'd like to put the pump back up behind our house with the filter and heater are..which is above the water line on the pool

I assume I'll need an inground pool pump, or something rated for above the water line? Can anyone point me to a good reliable pump that won't break the bank?

Thanks
Dan

The Hayward Power-Flo Matrix is a medium head pump, which can prime when above the waterline, but won't have a problem with the short plumbing runs typical of an above ground pool.

I recommend getting a two speed version.

Well, Jason and I were thinking along similar lines and beat me to the post. But since I had it queued up...

+1 for getting a 2-speed. Will save $ on electric bill.

Here is a pic of the 2-speed Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP159...2NNU4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_3/179-0079219-2108543.

Here are a couple of Pentair AG pumps you may also want to look at: http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/products/pumps-aboveground-dynamo-pumps-46.htm (click on the Specs tab)

I don't believe the Powerflo matrix is self priming. In fact, any pump that can rotate the discharge is not self-priming. Only the Powerflo II is self priming (in the Powerflo lineup).

Dynamo is self-priming but the Powerflo Matrix is not which is what I was commenting on. The Max-Flo is also self-priming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
MAS...yes you are correct, I mistyped. I ordered the Max Flo II. After reading up on all of them, the Max Flo II seemed pretty heavy duty, 8ft head, and extra large strainer basket, sounded like a perfect pump for my setup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.