Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new pump

1. Back To Top    #1

new pump

Hey all. Ok, I replaced our old hayward pump that died a year ago with an "el cheapo" chinese unit..that I set down next to the pool last year, and it worked fine for the year. I hooked it up this season and it's just not a great pump, it's loud, doesn't seem to pump a lot of water (compared to our old Hayward)...so what I am looking for is to replace it with a decent pump, BUT I'd like to put the pump back up behind our house with the filter and heater are..which is above the water line on the pool

I assume I'll need an inground pool pump, or something rated for above the water line? Can anyone point me to a good reliable pump that won't break the bank?

Thanks
    Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new pump

The Hayward Power-Flo Matrix is a medium head pump, which can prime when above the waterline, but won't have a problem with the short plumbing runs typical of an above ground pool.

I recommend getting a two speed version.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, Jason and I were thinking along similar lines and beat me to the post. But since I had it queued up...

+1 for getting a 2-speed. Will save $ on electric bill.

Here is a pic of the 2-speed Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1592...079219-2108543.

Here are a couple of Pentair AG pumps you may also want to look at: http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/...o-pumps-46.htm (click on the Specs tab)
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

BUT..will that pump work well on a bit longer run? it will be about 10 inches above the water line, and 20 ft away. I have 1.5 PVC piping already run to the position.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't believe the Powerflo matrix is self priming. In fact, any pump that can rotate the discharge is not self-priming. Only the Powerflo II is self priming (in the Powerflo lineup).
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Would this one work: http://www.poolsuppliessuperstore.com/p ... Ninch.html

the description doesn't say self priming.

Mas - The Dynamo Manual and Specs DO INDEED say it is "self priming"

7. Back To Top    #7

Dynamo is self-priming but the Powerflo Matrix is not which is what I was commenting on. The Max-Flo is also self-priming.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Well I went ahead and ordered the Power Flo II. Looks like a great pump.

here's what I got: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Hayward- ... 2705X7.htm

Looks like it'll pump up to 8 feet of head. That oughtta fix my issues!

9. Back To Top    #9

You meant that you ordered the Max-Flo II correct? PowerFlo II is a different pump.
    Mark

10. Back To Top    #10

That MaxFlo II pump you linked to will be just fine.

this is the link for the Powerflo II - http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/powerfloii.htm
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

11. Back To Top    #11

MAS...yes you are correct, I mistyped. I ordered the Max Flo II. After reading up on all of them, the Max Flo II seemed pretty heavy duty, 8ft head, and extra large strainer basket, sounded like a perfect pump for my setup.