Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clorox Bleach Package Observation

1. Back To Top    #1

Clorox Bleach Package Observation

[attachment=0:18ue2a94]CloroxPkg.jpg[/attachment:18ue2a94]I have noticed something on the 3-bottle package of Clorox at Sam's Club. The 3-digit code circled on the attached image appears to correlate with the ordinal day of the year. Note the 144 that is circled in red. I purchased this package about a month ago. If this number is in fact the ordinal day of the year, it would indicate that this was packaged in late May. I have noticed that this code has incremented on subsequent packages I have purchased. I have a few other packages purchased two weeks ago where this code reads 158. Most recent package (purchased last week) is up to 164. Given this trend, it seems plausible that this code may represent the ordinal date when the bottles were packaged.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm going to keep an eye on this throughout the year and see if this trend continues.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clorox Bleach Package Observation

Yes, several people have made reference to this in the thread about Bleach Prices 2013. I bought 10 cases, been through 3 so far, and they all have different "codes".
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Today is day 187. I just checked mine and one was 154 and one was 165. Seems to be that the bleach is a little old. Maybe I will start paying more attention.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes that's the date code. It shows the Year/day of year/Dallas plant/blending line 1/time stamp. They also bottle Hasa, Great Value, Dollar store, target brand that I know of.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

5. Back To Top    #5

Here are a few more details on these codes that I will cross-reference here for convenience...

Quote Originally Posted by thehowheels
    There's a trick I found elsewhere on this forum for determining the age of consumer-grade bleach. This works for Clorox, and possibly other brands as well.

Above the label, there is a number stamped into the bottle that looks something like:

A83105XXXX

Here's how to identify the useful information:
    A83105
    A8: The plant the bleach was manufactured at
    3: The last digit of the year it was manufactured (eg, 2013 = 3)
    105: The day of the year it was manufactured (eg, 105th day of 2013, or April 15, 2013)
    Here's the link to the Bleach Prices 2013 thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/bleac...58266-140.html. Above quote is currently on page 8 of this thread as of today, July 7, 2013.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.