TA pH and burning eyes

hurt5150

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2013
Missouri
My TA is somewhere between 280 and 300 depending on my current definition of color change. My pH is 7.8-8 depending on my current definition of color change....

I am definitely not interested in burning eyes, so with my inexperience with pH testing I am a bit leery of trying to drop to 7.2 and doing the aeration trick. So, my plan is to drop the pH to around 7.4-5 repeatedly and pointing the eye of my jet thing upwards.

My questions are: Is there a problem with a slow correction of TA vs a more aggressive approach? Anyone have an idea of how long to expect my planned process to take?

I plan to eventually add Borates but I know I need to fix the TA first.

PH anywhere from 7.2 to 8.2 is fine to swim in. However, you don't generally want the let the PH get above 7.8 for other reasons. Burning eyes generally only happen when PH is below 7.2.

Lowering TA will often take weeks, especially if you are making a large change (as you are). It tends to go more quickly at the start, and more slowly towards the end.

ok, I will recheck. I've checked it a few times this week, first time was 340 but I didn't wipe the tip (missed that tidbit initially). I wiped the tip this am but am having difficulty determining what "red" is vs red/pink tinge vs a Barbie pink shade. I'm having the same mental difficulty with the CH test and blue vs purple but I'm becoming more confident on that one.

Did I read somewhere to add muriatic acid in portions like maybe half what the pool calculator says is the "dose" and let it mix in, for say an hour or so, then recheck? I know I need to dilute it in some water before adding it to the pool.

hurt5150 said:
ok, I will recheck. I've checked it a few times this week, first time was 340 but I didn't wipe the tip (missed that tidbit initially). I wiped the tip this am but am having difficulty determining what "red" is vs red/pink tinge vs a Barbie pink shade. I'm having the same mental difficulty with the CH test and blue vs purple but I'm becoming more confident on that one.

Did I read somewhere to add muriatic acid in portions like maybe half what the pool calculator says is the "dose" and let it mix in, for say an hour or so, then recheck? I know I need to dilute it in some water before adding it to the pool.
Go reread extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html The actual shade doesn't matter so much as the fact that it stops changing. TA will go from green to grey to pale pink to barbie pink and that's it. When the last drop doesn't make it any brighter, subtract the last drop. Done.

CH can take a long, long time, which is why the color is specified. It can stall at purple for a long, long, time and make you think you're getting no more color change. So that one has to actually be a shade of blue, not purple. If CH is above, say 300, use the 10 ml sample size. Directions are in extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

That was me that suggested the 1/2 dose at a time, at least until you know how your pool will react. Give it a season or two, so you learn your pool's needs etc.

Once you know for sure how your pool behaves when adding chemicals, then you can modify it upwards. Word of caution -- best to not do whole doses, even when you have learned your pool. Yours being more than twice the size of mine will react more slowly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.