Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: white powder clouds up from the bottom when brushing ?

1. Back To Top    #1

white powder clouds up from the bottom when brushing ?

new DE filter this year wondering if I should ever get powder (looks like DE) on the bottom or edges?
    I backwashed first time in 3 weeks a few days ago and also did some 'patchit' repairs in the spa a couple days back. (the mix for small cracks that Leslie's sells...when I finished and refilled the spa the entire pool was cloudy for a couple hours....maybe I answered my own questions)

do I need to pull the filter apart to check for grid tears? I guess I will vacuum first and see if any returns.
    I am spoiled because usually only vacuum once per year during start up.
    24K gal, plaster, concrete decking, cantelivered coping, 19 years old, raised attached stone spa - 1 1/2 HP purex triton pump, 2 yr old 48 sq ft Pentair DE filter with multiport, Polaris 380 w/pump, Brand new Pentair mastertemp 400k heater - live in southeastern PA outside phila.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: white powder clouds up from the bottom when brushing ?

Yeah, I think you answered your own question. It was most likely caused by the patch compound. I wouldn't tear the filter apart unless you're sure that what you see is DE coming from the filter
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit