Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Intex Ultraframe, test kit arriving Mon, want to swim

1. Back To Top    #1

New Intex Ultraframe, test kit arriving Mon, want to swim

HI, we just got our intex 16' ultraframe filled. My test kit will be here monday. I have read the pool school on temporary pools quiet a few times.

Can I go ahead with 2 nights of Diclor and then swim while waiting on the kit?

Can we safely swim tomorrow? Do I need to add anything? so far I've added nothing.

Our SWG is arriving thurs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as our little ones are sooo excited about swimming ASAP.
    Intex 16' x 48" Ultra Frame, just filled, 5,051 gallons.
    TF-100 test kit used. SWG waiting to be set up.
    Regular cartridge filter that comes with pool (1,500 gallon per hour filter pump.)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Intex Ultraframe, test kit arriving Mon, want to swi

If the water is clear and has some chlorine, I saw swim! Dichlor is fine but you might want to add a starter amount by liquid CL based on your poolcalculator entry. I would say aim for 2-3 PPM CL. Assume you have zero FC each evening with no CYA and your heat. You will not be over chlorinating and you will be much less likely to have an algae issue.

Also, if you can, consider getting a sand filter for the pool. The 2650 seems most popular. You can get there with the cartridge but sand will make it easier.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what techguy said.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick response. So just to be clear, all I need to do until the test kit arrives is add the bleach in the amount that the pool caculator gives me (assuming no cya and putting in my area's daily temp) and run the pump? Just wait on the diclor till monday?
    Regular cartridge filter that comes with pool (1,500 gallon per hour filter pump.)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by azmountains
    Thanks for the quick response. So just to be clear, all I need to do until the test kit arrives is add the bleach in the amount that the pool caculator gives me (assuming no cya and putting in my area's daily temp) and run the pump? Just wait on the diclor till monday?
    Daily temp has no effect on dosage. all that matters is size of pool.

Just use the pool calculator to see how much bleach or dichlor - your choice - you need to add to get from zero to 3 FC and add that every day.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: How to lower PH

Merged by moderator. Please keep your posts together and not in other random threads. Thanks, jblizzle

TEst response with new test kit, pool filled friday:

I used the everyday test in blue box

Cl 3-6 ppm
    ph 8.2

What do I do now?

Thanks,

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: How to lower PH

Have you used http://www.poolcalculator.com yet?

Add half the MA to bring pH to around 7.6. Wait an hour, retest. Let us know if you have any questions with it or with pool calculator.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

HI, I went out this morn to test with my kit to see if MA worked.

it was around noon and my test read
    CL 1-2
    PH 7.8

so I put in 16oz of bleach as the poolcaculator recommended, turned on the pump and then took the pool cover off and put on the new solar cover.

about an hour later my husband tested again from the other side of the pool and he got a reading of
    CL .5-1
    PH 7.5

does this sound right? if so, what's going on?

thanks, Rosie

should i test again from side of the pool i poured the bleach in or is just being used up that quickly. It is pretty sunny here today, btw.

9. Back To Top    #9

As for the FC, it's tough to tell if you had much of FC loss when your tests showed 0.5-1.0 and 1.0-2.0. Best case... no loss, worst case your loss is 1.5 FC. A loss of 1.5 in an hour shows algae is consuming it OR the sun.

What is your CYA?
    Did you measure for CC?
    Why are your answers ranges?... did you test with strips?
    How does the water look?

Sorry for all the questions.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm using the everyday test in the blue box in the k-1000 test kit. we haven't added any stabilizer yet as we just got the pool up and my husband needs to go find some in town. The pool looks clear to me.

I'm not sure how to measure for CC. is that one of the tests in the kit?
    I thought I was giving my answer range. if not, well...I have no idea YET, how to

I apologize, this has been a lot to learn!

11. Back To Top    #11

No need to apologize. We are all learners once. This process is very different than the one the pool store recommends. That is why I don't go there very often. I drive past it everyday... but stop about 2 times per year.

To get accurate readings of your FC and CC, you need do the Chlorine test with the powder (FAS-DPD). See the instruction card.

Basically you add water to the 10ML, add one scoop using the little blue scoop, add drops until the solution goes from pink to clear. Then the the CC testing with the solution created by the FC test.
    -- Guy --

12. Back To Top    #12

ok, I did it! I'm getting a slight hang of it.

FC-6ppm
    CC-0

TA -120

And we have the salt and the CYA and we are ready to add it to the pool. SWG is here too.

Next step??

Am I good for a swim with the kids before adding the salt this evening?

Thanks!

13. Back To Top    #13

And we have the salt and the CYA and we are ready to add it to the pool. SWG is here too.

Next step??

Am I good for a swim with the kids before adding the salt this evening?

Thanks!
    Yes. But be aware, without any CYA, 6 FC is pretty harsh! The CYA shoulda been hanging in there already. It won't hurt anything just dangling there. Try to keep the kids from playing too rough with it.

Check out the highlighted post here.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

14. Back To Top    #14

So now I have another question i can't find the answer to through the search.

The intex SWG instructions say I need 1.3 pound of CYA, which we bought the hth kind at walmart, 96% pure.

How do I tell how much is 1.3 pounds. ? It is in a 4 pound canister. the pool caculator is doing the measurements differently so I don't quite get how the equate.

I'm guessing i should just put a portion in as per the recommendations on this site.

I saw a post where someone dissolved 1/2 pound in a bucket and put it in pool overnight. Otherwise, I'm wondering how one can put a pound in a sock and still swim in the pool while it is dissolving?

so, how do i measure a this stuff. nothing about it in the directions for SWG.

Thanks,

15. Back To Top    #15

I put my Stabilizer in a pair of my daughters tights that she won't use next year or this last go I bought woman's nylons placed the amount I needed in them and let them dangle in front of the return. I did this Sunday. Next Sunday I will test the water to see what my reading is. This takes 1 week to register.

If I would have needed less than 4 pounds I would have weighed it, unless I needed 2 pounds and I would have eyed it. As you need a specific amount and you are new to learning your pool, I would weigh out the amount it requires and dose accordingly.
    AGP: 27' x 52" : 17,500 gallon
    300 lb. Sand Filter (75 gpm) / 1.5 hp pump
    Full Sun ~ All Day

16. Back To Top    #16

So now I have another question i can't find the answer to through the search.

The intex SWG instructions say I need 1.3 pound of CYA, which we bought the hth kind at walmart, 96% pure.

How do I tell how much is 1.3 pounds. ? It is in a 4 pound canister. the pool caculator is doing the measurements differently so I don't quite get how the equate.

I'm guessing i should just put a portion in as per the recommendations on this site.

I saw a post where someone dissolved 1/2 pound in a bucket and put it in pool overnight. Otherwise, I'm wondering how one can put a pound in a sock and still swim in the pool while it is dissolving?

so, how do i measure a this stuff. nothing about it in the directions for SWG.

Thanks,
    You're only aiming for 30 on the CYA?

A kitchen scale is the ticket. Or borrow the scale at the post office, or the grocery store. Or, even easier...weight and volume are pretty close on CYA. 2 kitchen measuring cups of the powder should be pretty darn close to 1.3 lbs. Whatever amount it's off won't be enough to read on the tester.

Pour it into a sock or a nylon, tie it off, and suspend it in front of the return or tie it to a floating toy and let it bob around.

17. Back To Top    #17

well, the directions state CYA needed for start up. for my size pool 1.3 lbs. otherwise, it says they recommend CYA be at 1% of salt or 1lbs of salt = 1 lbs of CYA.

So for my pool, 125 lbs of salt, 1.3 lbs of CYA.

Seems at odds with Pool caculator.

What would you recommend?

18. Back To Top    #18

Intex's recommendations are low, shoot for 60ppm on the cya in the pool calculator
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

19. Back To Top    #19

Trust the recommendations here.

The bottle instructions are assuming lots of things they don't know about you, your pool or your needs. This is probably true of all chemicals sold in pool stores.

We are making recommendations based on your test results, your pool and your needs... and the combined knowledge of the BBB process.
    -- Guy --