Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trouble with Hayward weir

1. Back To Top    #1

Trouble with Hayward weir

I recently installed a Hayward skimmer on my Intex pool. It works great while the pump is on, but when it's off, the weir door does not float. It just stays at the bottom. And even if it did float, there does not seem to be anything to stop it from opening into the pool. Seems stupid to me. I thought that the weir was supposed float up when the pump is off and stay shut to keep debris from floating back into the pool. The instructions make no mention of any sort of stopper. There are no tabs or stoppers or anything whatsoever on on either the weir or the skimmer itself to keep the weir from opening into the pool. And even if there were, the weir doesn't even float in the first place. The weir simply snaps into two holes on either side and swings both ways. It just seems very poorly designed. Am I missing something really obvious or is this how all skimmers are? The skimmer I have is the Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim.
    Intex 18ft x 52in Ultra Frame Pool, hard plumbed w/skimmer and fountain
    Intex 4000 gph cartridge filter pump
    Intex SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trouble with Hayward weir

The weir should have white foam on the back side to make it float.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Nope, there is no foam on it. Was I supposed to attach it? Because no such foam was even included with it and the instructions make no mention of it either. I suppose I could glue some styrofoam to it. Would that work? And then, how do I stop it from opening into the pool? Should I glue a piece of plastic to the outside of the faceplate maybe?
    Intex SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

There should be a place for the foam, does yours have it on the non pool side near the free end of the weir?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

It looks as if there's some sort of "holder" on the back of the weir for the foam, but I'm not sure. And like I said, no such foam was included or mentioned in the manual. Plus, all the pics in the instructions do not show any foam on it. I glued some Styrofoam to the back and now it seems to float, but that still doesn't solve the problem of it swinging into the pool. I guess I can rig something up, but I don't see why I should have to do this in the first place or how it got such high reviews on Amazon given this flaw. How does a weir typically stop from swinging into the pool?
    Intex SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't see how the weir can swing into the pool. Can you post a picture?
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

My weir can swing into the pool when the pump is off. The foam keeps it floating high enough that it's not a problem, but there's nothing to stop if from swinging into the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Same as bama here...I have a agp hayward widemouth skimmer and there are no stops preventing the weir door from swinging back into the pool. Here is a picture of the one I have minus the widemouth extension: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Haywa...r/SP1091WM.htm
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Is your water level about halfway up the skimmer opening?
    TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

My Aqua Leader wide mouth has a stop for the weir if I use the OEM weir, the pool also had a Hayward weir in the pool box and it doesn't stop. I prefer the OEM one after I replaced the foam. Although it clanks a little with wave action when the pump is off.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, my water level is about halfway up the skimmer. Here's a picture. With the Styrofoam I glued to it, the weir will eventually float to this position when the pump is off. Sounds like I'll be getting a new skimmer next summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex SWG