Hayward Tri Star Two-Speed Questions

strmh

May 5, 2013
Hooking up (at least trying to hook up) my 2hp Tri Star Two speed pump on a 20amp, 220v circuit.

When I first started getting things together, I planned to go with a 20a, 220v On/Off switch, followed in series by 20a three-way switch to go from high speed to low speed.

From what I could tell, it didn't appear as though that would work because it seemed by introducing the three-way, I'd end up only sending 120v to either high or low and not 220.

To experiment, I eliminated all switches and wired it directly to the breaker........it primed and pumped, but I can't seem to find what's normal operation for these two-speed pumps....

Few questions:

-The pump seems to cycle from high to low speed on it's own. Is this how the two-speed is supposed to work? or should i be able to control high/low on my own?

-Does my initial switch configuration sound like it will work?

-And, after running for about 1/2 an hour, the housing was so hot I couldn't touch it. It seemed to be pumping fine, but as mentioned, I think it was cycling from high to low....(there's an audible switching sound)

Appreciate any input on pump operation.....new to this whole pool thing!!

Thanks to all,

TH

strmh said:
The pump seems to cycle from high to low speed on it's own. Is this how the two-speed is supposed to work? or should i be able to control high/low on my own?
You should be able to control high/low speed on your own, usually by either wiring it to your timer / controller or by wiring it to an external switch which manually changes speed while allowing the timer/controller to turn it on and off.

Your original thought corresponds to the most common setup. Either a switch or a timer to turn the pump on and off, and then a three way switch to switch between low speed and high speed. That circuit is consistently 230 volts. There is no 115 volts unless you bring in the neutral wire (which you should not).

In general a two speed pump is always run on low speed unless there is some specific reason to run it on high. Reasons to run on high vary, but typically include things like a spa, solar heat, backwashing the filter, and manual vacuuming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.