shocking my pool

Jul 3, 2013
hello everyone, i'm new to this and have a question... after spending $40 dollars on bleach trying to shock a green pool, i was running out of time and money so i put 5 lbs of cal-hypo in the pool two days ago, it's back to blue with cloudiness. i know my test are not accurate with the pool in shock mode but here they are.
stabilizer - 80
ph - 7.4
alkalinity - 110
hardness - 0
color of my chlorine test - deep orange

do i just wait now?

thanks linen, i read the pool school and realize the shocking using the bbb method is a process, i only had 2 days to spend time with the pool, i don't any help to keep watch over it. so i figured i't use the cal-hypo to get it back to blue, then start from there with the bbb method.
I have a 24" round 11,200 gal AG vinyl 2 HP millennium cartridge filter

Part of the problem with your idea is that Cal-Hypo can cause cloudiness all by itself, so you can't tell if the cloudy water is from algae still in the water or the addition of Cal-Hypo that you used to try to clear the algae. This is part of the reason we preach using only bleach for chlorination, particularly for beginners who may not understand the secondary effects of the other forms of chlorination.

What strength Cal-hypo? Even the 73% stuff only took FC to 39, which is still less than mustard shock level. The 58% stuff would have barely put you into shock level! So I'd say you got lucky. A logical orderly approach works better. I had an infection once, but I wanted the pain to go away right now. I didn't have time to take those antibiotics twice a day for ten days. I should have just taken the whole bottle at once.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.