Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: shocking my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

shocking my pool

hello everyone, i'm new to this and have a question... after spending $40 dollars on bleach trying to shock a green pool, i was running out of time and money so i put 5 lbs of cal-hypo in the pool two days ago, it's back to blue with cloudiness. i know my test are not accurate with the pool in shock mode but here they are.
    stabilizer - 80
    ph - 7.4
    alkalinity - 110
    hardness - 0
    color of my chlorine test - deep orange

do i just wait now?
    24' x 52' Round AG 11,200 gal., 2 HP pump Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: shocking my pool

Welcome to the forum.

Spend a little time in Pool School. Link is upper right corner of every page. We want to help, but we'll be speaking Yiddish unless you do a little reading first.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3
    Twin Cities, MN

Welcome to tfp, juicierthnfruit

What type and size of pool do you have?

The shocking process we teach on here is a little different then just adding product to the is a process of holding the chlorine level appropriately high until the algae is gone. See this pool school article:
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

SpringHill FL

Sounds like your first step would be to get a good quality test kit that will allow you to actually see what you need to do. The TF100 or K2006 are the best kits out.
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks, i'll go over the pool school again....

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks linen, i read the pool school and realize the shocking using the bbb method is a process, i only had 2 days to spend time with the pool, i don't any help to keep watch over it. so i figured i't use the cal-hypo to get it back to blue, then start from there with the bbb method.
    I have a 24" round 11,200 gal AG vinyl 2 HP millennium cartridge filter

7. Back To Top    #7
    SW Louisiana

Part of the problem with your idea is that Cal-Hypo can cause cloudiness all by itself, so you can't tell if the cloudy water is from algae still in the water or the addition of Cal-Hypo that you used to try to clear the algae. This is part of the reason we preach using only bleach for chlorination, particularly for beginners who may not understand the secondary effects of the other forms of chlorination.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

thanks for clearing that up for me.. i really appreciate that

9. Back To Top    #9
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

What strength Cal-hypo? Even the 73% stuff only took FC to 39, which is still less than mustard shock level. The 58% stuff would have barely put you into shock level! So I'd say you got lucky. A logical orderly approach works better. I had an infection once, but I wanted the pain to go away right now. I didn't have time to take those antibiotics twice a day for ten days. I should have just taken the whole bottle at once.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!