Hayward Powerflo LX Pump 1.5 HP

Jul 5, 2013
I have an AG 15,000 gallon pool. I already own the aforementioned pump (subject), but want to know the best compatible sand filter.

I have perused many resources. Does the: Hayward S180T Pro Series 18-Inch Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter seem appropriate???

Welcome to TFP!

We would actually recommend at least a 23" sand filter based on your pool size. But if you have a short season, you could get by with something smaller.

The 1.5 HP Powerflo LX, will deliver over 50 GPM on typical AG plumbing so you will want at least a 2.5 sq-ft filter. The S180T would be much too small and you risk pushing sand out the returns or even worse, breaking a lateral. I think the S230T comes with that pump so I wouldn't go smaller than that.

I am not finding that typical model. Would it be better (cheaper) to downsize on the pump, so as to get less and cheaper sand filters? Does that make sense. Is there a comparable make and model you recommend.

AG filters will typically come with the pump so it may be difficult to find one without the pump. You might be better off just getting the combo or going with a IG filter like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EY39QY

But yes, you can downsize the pump but I wouldn't downsize the filter too much. You will want at least a S220T for that size pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.