Intex Filter leaking

I set up my pool last week with the Intex Sand and SWG combo --- no leaks. I hadn't used the SWG yet - just operating in FP mode. In fact, I haven't added any salt or CYA yet - just bleach - because I was going to drop the water level to hard plumb everything.

After reading several TFP forums and posts, I just had to get rid of the Intex hoses and plunger valves and of course install a fountain. Thanks for all the great ideas!!!

I'll post some pictures later. Everything works great except for a small amount of percolating on the top of the Intex eyeball return (I switched to the bigger returns that came with the upgraded filter. It's inside the pool and barely percolates a 1/2 inch or so - but that's not my concern since it doesn't leak outside of the pool. BTW, when I did my first mods I used the return that came with the Hayward skimmer. The return had a washer for the inside and outside. That one leaked on the outside. I decided to go with the new Intex return that came with the new filter. It only had one washer for the inside - works great - no leaks on the outside.

After I hard plumbed everything - has to be 30 - 35 pieces of PVC - I would have bet on a leak somewhere - zilch - very happy! When I turned on my Intex filter I had leaks in two places. Like I had never tightened the hose nuts which I certainly had done. The nut on the electrolytic cell needed to be tightened. Done - no more leak. Then I tightened down the hose from the 6-way valve inlet and the motor outlet. I have either a trickle or a gusher depending on how hard I tighten the nut. Just when I think it won't leak anymore if I tighten 1 more slight bit, it seems to go off the thread, get very loose, and gush water. It doesn't leak when I turn off the filter. HELP???

You removed the flex hose that came with the pump from Intex and used 1 1/2" PVC between the pump outlet and the inlet on the 6 way by using a box bushing and a coupler and kept the screw on part from Intex? Is that correct so far? Did you use the original step washers from intex on both sides. If all this is correct you may have to make you an additional washer from some sheet gasket material to go on the box bushing side. You wont have to tighten very much to seal evrything that way

JamesT said:
You removed the flex hose that came with the pump from Intex and used 1 1/2" PVC between the pump outlet and the inlet on the 6 way by using a box bushing and a coupler and kept the screw on part from Intex? Is that correct so far? Did you use the original step washers from intex on both sides. If all this is correct you may have to make you an additional washer from some sheet gasket material to go on the box bushing side. You wont have to tighten very much to seal evrything that way

I'm actually still using the small Intex hose but I think I'll go ahead and hard plumb that too. I thought I could get away with that one.

I've seen several posters using the original Intex nuts and epoxy options as well as workaround couplers. I used 2 inch PVC for all connections that replaced the Intex nuts. I then glued in a reducer - 1/2 inch sleeve in to the 2 inch female connection (nut replacement) to make it compatible with the 1-1/2" PVC and then used 1-1/2" PVC all around. I used PVC ball valves (to turn off the water and redirect to the fountain) and couplings (so I can winterize the system) too.

Hmmmmm. If your using the original Intex hose and nuts on the output from the pump to the inlet on the filter I have no Idea why that would be leaking. Are you 100% sure you got both of the box type washers back in the male side of the connections? Something dont sound just right when you say it slips when you really tighten down on it. You shouldn't have to put that much pressure on the nuts to make a seal with the original Intex parts.

As far as the 2" PVC connecting to the 20mm Intex threads I didn't think that would work. The threads are also pitched different, but if it's working and there are no water leaks or air bubble in the pump basket I guess It can be done.

JamesT said:
Hmmmmm. If your using the original Intex hose and nuts on the output from the pump to the inlet on the filter I have no Idea why that would be leaking. Are you 100% sure you got both of the box type washers back in the male side of the connections? Something dont sound just right when you say it slips when you really tighten down on it. You shouldn't have to put that much pressure on the nuts to make a seal with the original Intex parts.

As far as the 2" PVC connecting to the 20mm Intex threads I didn't think that would work. The threads are also pitched different, but if it's working and there are no water leaks or air bubble in the pump basket I guess It can be done.

Thanks for the insight!

It's really disheartening when the smallest connection and only non-modified section doesn't work. I know I added Teflon tape to the threads after I hard plumbed everything else. Maybe it was the 3 to 4 wraps of Teflon tape that worked on the 2 inch PVC female adapters but I only had the filter on for 10 minutes. No leaks anywhere except for the small Intex hose. I could try three options:

1) Remove the Teflon tape from the Intex threads and retry the small hose.
2) Try either of the two longer Intex hoses I have left over from the inlet and outlet connections since they are no longer needed.
3) Hard plumb that small hose. I just got back from HD with an option. That hose is so small it's going to be a challenge to get a workaround that will come apart when I winterize the system. It's too small to use the couplings I got for the other sections so I'm thinking about using a 1-1/2" trap and two step 90 degree elbows to minimize the piping needed. My concern with the traps is they are normally used for waste and are rarely under pressure.

I'm thinking the Teflon tape is the quickest and easiest option since the nut seemed to work fine without the tape when I originally set up the system a few days ago.

Then proceed with option 2 (even though I'd not like the look of the extra long hose with the nicely hard plumbed PVC setup.

I think I'll try option 3 last since your warning "As far as the 2" PVC connecting to the 20mm Intex threads I didn't think that would work. The threads are also pitched different..." If my modifications are going to fail using the 2" PVC I'd rather not add anymore of that workaround.

What are your thoughts?

I dont think I would like the long hose either. Option 2 I believe would be the way to go but I would first remove short hose and then pull out the two rubber washers from the pump and filter and visually inspect them for a possible split or nick somewhere in the washer. If there is not problem with them. Put them back in and give it another try first.

When I plumbed my Intex to the large sand filter we used Blue Monster pipe compound on all connections. Used it to join the flexible 1 1/2" pool pipe you can buy at Lowe's to 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" threaded adapters using hose clamps. Just paint all the threads full of compound and twist the hose on then hose clamp it. To join the intex pump to the larger hose we built up the Intex pump with electrical tape then the Blue Monster and a hose clamp.
If you have leaks, try some chemical rated pipe compound. If it worked on my redneck setup, it might fix your leaks. Just be judicious on application. It would likely destroy the pump if too much got inside.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Good suggestions!

I removed the short hose and found a slight crack in the Intex threading. I had to remove the Teflon Tape to see the slight crack. I balled up the wet Teflon Tape to create a kind of paste. I then attached it to the slight crack and applied new Teflon Tape. Leak is 80% less now.

I need to winterize the pool in 2 months so I went to HD to find a short-term solution. I'm going to turn off the pump (reduce pressure and drip) apply some gutter silicone caulking and then use some Stretch and Seal tape to cover the caulking. A the end of the summer I can remove all my hard plumbing and think of a longer-term solution for that connection for 2014 and beyond.

If Intex threading cracks when tightened hard, they should clearly advise consumers not to over-tighten.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.